GEN 1 ICON Bump Kit - Hear me out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

votive

Reaction score
I've got a lead on a brand new in-box ICON rear bump kit for $1,000. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

I was ready to pull the trigger when I learned that it will not work with my Corsa Extreme exhaust. I started looking at other kits and noticed that the ICON is the only one with the middle supports - causing it to be incompatible with the Corsa.

What are opinions on running the ICON kit but not installing the middle supports? It should still be just as rigid as the SVC and Forged Offroad offerings right? After looking under my truck I think the exhaust will clear the kit without the supports.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely the first that I’ve heard of this. Either way, I personally don’t think it would be the end of the world if you opted to NOT run those middle support braces. It’s already the strongest kit out there since it’s a full clam shell around the entire frame. And like you said, they’re the only ones that have it, the other kits have/need that center cross tube yet do not have those smaller braces. I say run it. Also, the corsa exhaust kit isn’t a dual exhaust right ? Just a dual tip? So couldn’t you run the drivers side brace and just not the passenger side? Not sure if you have deavers or not, but with +3’s, they hit the exhaust which is why you have to dump it. After the axle (just something to consider if you haven’t already)

OP
OP
votive

votive

Reaction score
Also, the corsa exhaust kit isn’t a dual exhaust right ? Just a dual tip? So couldn’t you run the drivers side brace and just not the passenger side?

Correct. I was considering this but I wasn't sure if both sides were dependent on each other, like if they pushed on each other in some way. Thanks for the input!

Not sure if you have deavers or not, but with +3’s, they hit the exhaust which is why you have to dump it. After the axle (just something to consider if you haven’t already)

This is the first I've heard of this and I've been researching Deavers for few weeks now. I plan on ordering some up this month. I'm glad you said something, I've been going back and forth between the +2's or +3's. Guess my decision has been made for me.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exhaust positioning and exit location is one of the easiest things for any competent exhaust shop to address. I don’t understand why you would limit or otherwise handicap actual functional upgrades vs. just having some pipe rerouted appropriately. Dumping the exhaust before the axle or changing to a Lightning-style exit before the rear tires with appropriate additional hangers/support are two popular ways to avoid impeding on rear suspension components. Also, moving your spare tire and exhaust out of the way makes working on suspension and servicing the rearend a lot easier…more room for activities.

OP
OP
votive

votive

Reaction score
I have a couple of reasons for this.

First off, this exhaust is only a few months old and I'm simply not ready to chop it up yet. I also love that there is ZERO drone, it sounds completely stock when highway cruising. That's something I am worried I will lose with a axle dump or before the rear tires. Coming from a HEMI Grand Cherokee with an MBRP exhaust, I do not want to go back to those days of not being able to talk with my passengers in the back seat.

Second, I don't really feel like I would be handicapping the ICON kit that much, if at all for my purposes. Air bumps are better than none, and as mentioned before this is the only kit with those crossbars. If I was beating on my bumpstops all day every day I'd change around the exhaust, but realistically they will not see much abuse. It's a good deal and since I'm getting Deavers I need a bumpstop solution anyways. I always have the option of putting them in if I get to that point.

All in all my truck is a road vehicle first, and an offroad toy second.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would risk ripping the exhaust off if you dented in the exhaust where it interferes or let it self clearance itself. The deavers are just so much bigger and substantial than the stock leafs. I opted for a lightning style exhaust myself.

You may be able to piece your current corsa kit To make it a side exit. Corsa sells the nice clamps and straight pipe and shorter resonators.

But as for the braces , IMO I don’t think you would be taking away from the integrity of the ICON bump kit if you opted to not install the one brace.

All that being said, if you are dead set on the deavers ( it’s a HUGE improvement and added performance as the suspension travels) the correct way to help these 2 mods work together is to dump it after the axle or turn it into a side exit.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Installing Deavers just means you need bump stop pads since you lose the stock pads built into the lift blocks. It doesn’t mean you need an aftermarket bump stop kit. If you’re not worried about hard off-roading, save $1k and just buy the pads. RPG etc. and most shops that sell leaf springs should have the pads as well.

Removing the additional support bars on the Icon kit will only reduce torsional rigidity which is a primary benefit of the icon kit over others, but probably not an issue for on-road only use. Would I offroad using a well engineered kit with missing parts? Probably not.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Vash” is right, if you’re not doing heavy/frequent off-road, just get the RPG pucks to extend the stock rubber bump stop isolators downward and even some upgraded timbren rubber bump stops.

I’m STILL gonna die on the “ICON center braces removal hill” lol.

OP
OP
votive

votive

Reaction score
I ended up grabbing the ICON kit, I'm excited to see how it goes.

Not sure if you have deavers or not, but with +3’s, they hit the exhaust which is why you have to dump it. After the axle (just something to consider if you haven’t already)

I'd like to come back to this. Is this just an issue with the +3's or will the exhaust hit on the +2's as well? I've tried searching around the forum but I'm not having much luck so far.

I'm also curious to know if you get any drone with the lightning-style exhaust. This thread has me considering it more than I did before.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the only difference between the +2 vs. +3 deavers is the amount of arch. I believe they both have the same amount of leaves. Most on here get the +3 or +4 so I can only speak to those hitting the exhaust for sure. It is a known issue.

I have the JBA lightning style side exit Exhaust with minimal drone but on the louder side when getting on it. But the drone is gonna come from a number of factors such as the type of resonator and type of muffler. The distance from the muffler to the end of the exhaust won’t play as much of a role in the volume of it than the actual resonator , and muffler itself IMO. But some on here might have more factual responses to this