Horrible Paint Quality on the Fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fenders are partially a Ford Quality Control issue but I would not use blue tape on a vehicle nor would I let a shop that uses whichever blue painters tape to apply PPF or Ceramic Coating.

3m makes green tape for plastic & moldings which should have been used, purple is used for high heat (300 degrees Fahrenheit or less) but mainly for other hard surfaces.
He used green on mine. He sent me a video of it happening. Didn’t matter.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every business is attempting to cut costs, some in the worst possible ways. The price of paint for exterior/interior use has increased over 50% but the contractor I use needs 50% more paint to complete the job to my standard.

It's pretty bad that Ford didn't address these issues since they have plenty of time to perform quality checks due to shortages.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Because they’re matte, not glossy. Same as Gen 2. Clear coat would give them a shiny appearance. As new as the truck is, the paint couldn’t even have been cured yet, and composites (plastic/urethane) are known for being more difficult to achieve paint adhesion.

Duracoat makes a matte clear that would probably work well in this application, but, if the paint is peeling that easily, I don’t think a clear coat will help, that’s almost certainly insufficient prep. I’ve done my share of insufficient prep.

3m makes green tape for plastic & moldings which should have been used, purple is used for high heat (300 degrees Fahrenheit or less) but mainly for other hard surfaces.
Noted.

JDZ

Reaction score
Fender flares have matte clear coat. If scratched cannot buff out like gloss clear so that sucks because they are easily scratched as they extend out from body especially off roading.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fender flares have matte clear coat. If scratched cannot buff out like gloss clear so that sucks because they are easily scratched as they extend out from body especially off roading.

90% of Raptors won't see any off-roading. If they did then Ford would change the coating/texture

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question.. I've done PPF, paint correction and ceramic coating on many vehicles but never a raptor. That changes on the 21st.

Is there a reason they didn't ceramic coat the flares? I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't do the whole thing to begin with?

Also, you mention ppf.. in order of operations it's paint correction - ppf - ceramic coating. Or did you not ask to ppf the flares?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Umm no. There is no clear coat. That means when you get trail rash off road, most of it will come out with some basic compound without even the need to wet sand. Been there, done that.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same and were/are replaced under warranty. Tape, everything exactly like yours. Im considering two things 3M wrap the fenders in the same color or XPel stealth.
Why would you need painters tape to apply ceramic coating, or even expel. ??