Homemade TruckVault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Impressive! Have you calculated what it actually cost adding up time and materials?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Someone posted about a magazine article a little while ago and the truck had something similar to that. Tried looking up a company but couldn't find anything.

This was the pic I saved from it.

y8evy3y6.jpg

OP
OP
W

Woodworker72

Reaction score
Costs

Impressive! Have you calculated what it actually cost adding up time and materials?

Thanks, I posted the photos because I guessed this group would be the only ones to appreciate it as my wife won't stop rolling her eyes. :)

I estimate it was about $1,200 including the line-x ($350). I used MDO (i.e., street sign material) and that costs a bit more per sheet. Also, I didn't try to optimize the cutting to minimize the number of sheets, so another $100 in that price was waste.

Hardware was most expensive, stainless steel for everything exposed to the elements, and the 4ft long full extension rails were $150 a pair.

Time is a harder thing to estimate, but I watched 2 - 3 seasons of Californication while building it in my basement. Then a couple of nights (hour or two each) painting and assembling it.

The similar official TruckVault would have run over $2,500 and would not be as customized. This design also supports accessory bike and kayak racks (my design).

I'll post the Google SketchUp design if you're interested.

Shawn

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Always impressed when I see the by-product of a skilled craftsman. I had a customer that had to add additional leaf springs to accommodate the weight of his Truck Vault.....do you have any idea what the empty weight might be?

OP
OP
W

Woodworker72

Reaction score
BOY, WAS I OFF ON MY ESTIMATE! I really saved a bundle. It would have been $4,365 as I built it.

The similar official TruckVault would have run over $2,500 and would not be as customized. This design also supports accessory bike and kayak racks (my design).

I'll post the Google SketchUp design if you're interested.

Shawn

Attachments

• TruckVault Quote.jpg
    TruckVault Quote.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
W

Woodworker72

Reaction score
Always impressed when I see the by-product of a skilled craftsman. I had a customer that had to add additional leaf springs to accommodate the weight of his Truck Vault.....do you have any idea what the empty weight might be?

Around 150 - 200 lbs (most of it the drawer slides). Do you think that would suggest a leaf spring upgrade? Seems minimal given its like just another guy in the cab. This is similar to the suggested weight of the similar official TruckVault.