HELP! Rebuilt my shocks, something's not right.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt both the front and rear shocks. Everything went together fine and I ops tested the shocks after rebuilding by pressurizing them with 100psi from my compressor to ensure they moved freely and didn't leak. I could compress the shocks and they'd slowly rebound. Then I had the local ATV shop fill them with 240psi of nitrogen.

I put Eibach springs on the fronts and installed one. I noticed that the shock/spring does not compress at all! I can lift the trunk from under the control arm and the shock does not compress at all! Not an inch!

The rears are not any better. One of them I can compress by leaning on it and it will slowly extend. The other I cannot get it to budge even with all my body weight on it!

What am I missing? Are the shocks stuck at the top of their travel? Do I need to release the pressure and not allow them to fully extend after filling?

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When properly built it takes all of my 200lbs to compress the shocks and at that it doesn’t move much. Not sure about your mass but that may speak to the rears. I’m far from a shock expert but have rebuilt my own, but can’t think of any thing that would not allow the shock to travel from an internal perspective. Shocks should be charged to 200psi but that extra 40psi would only make it firmer.

For the fronts what spring do you have and/or what perch setting?

Are the top hats installed properly? (Widest part pointing outwards?)

Pics would be interesting too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Eibach springs on the lowest setting. (Got tired of hunting Geiser down to take my $$) I can put the stock spring back on to test. Also are you sure about the hat orientation? I have the taller section on the inside. I didn't remove the spacer from the hat and the hat only installs one way. Right?

OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I backed the pressure off to 200psi on the fronts and put it together with the Eibach springs on the lowest setting. One of the rears had leaked down to 100psi, so I removed the end cap, cleaned the surfaces and reinstalled. It looks like the C clip wasn't seated correctly. I filled with 230psi using the hand pump for my mtn bike air shock. I'll make sure it holds over night and refill with nitrogen.

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the top hat on the shock below the bucket thinner side out and on top thicker side out, but yes I think you’re right it only goes on one way.

During install did you disconnect the cv at the spindle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R@pt0r

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have everything back together. I did not disconnect the cv at the spindle.