Heavy Console Lid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm just mocking your rant on such a minor thing...
An understandable way to see it, but I only "ranted" after mentioning, with plenty of self-awareness that the truck was going in for recalls and TSBs NOT related to interior details and I was going to bring these things up. Everybody knows the expectation, that's why it's something worth sharing. "Wanna see what happens at the dealership when I mention my bumpy leather steering wheel?" That kind of thing. Instead I just get typical forum hate. It's just boring. I want to talk about trucks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
An understandable way to see it, but I only "ranted" after mentioning, with plenty of self-awareness that the truck was going in for recalls and TSBs NOT related to interior details and I was going to bring these things up. Everybody knows the expectation, that's why it's something worth sharing. "Wanna see what happens at the dealership when I mention my bumpy leather steering wheel?" That kind of thing. Instead I just get typical forum hate. It's just boring. I want to talk about trucks.
Hey, all of us do it, even all of us who are throwing shade for the spring here. The Raptor downpayment was the largest personal check I wrote for well, for score and a few more years so yeah, I’m attached enough to that investment to have high expectations. Now that said, I can’t keep up with every defect. Fer Fùck’s sake, I’ve probably got 30 rock chips in my hood, and that’s after having it repaired 2x already. I just can devote time and effort to chasing every one of them down now.

and yeah, that bug would gnaw at me too, like the pesky rattles and squeaks that show up unexpectedly. I had one rattle set in that took me a few weeks to run down, and I eventually evacuated everything that wasn’t bolted down from the truck cab. That took a lot longer than I thought it would. But the rattling stopped. And I put everything back and ... no rattle. F- it. take the W and move on.
Life is just too precious to sweat every. single. thing.

Reaction score
Hey, all of us do it, even all of us who are throwing shade for the spring here. The Raptor downpayment was the largest personal check I wrote for well, for score and a few more years so yeah, I’m attached enough to that investment to have high expectations. Now that said, I can’t keep up with every defect. Fer Fùck’s sake, I’ve probably got 30 rock chips in my hood, and that’s after having it repaired 2x already. I just can devote time and effort to chasing every one of them down now.

and yeah, that bug would gnaw at me too, like the pesky rattles and squeaks that show up unexpectedly. I had one rattle set in that took me a few weeks to run down, and I eventually evacuated everything that wasn’t bolted down from the truck cab. That took a lot longer than I thought it would. But the rattling stopped. And I put everything back and ... no rattle. F- it. take the W and move on.
Life is just too precious to sweat every. single. thing.
I'm glad you gave your perspective. You're absolutely right. I've been lucky enough to own some cool cars, starting with a '66 Mustang I6, through many others. I wanted them all to be as nice as I could make them. Even the junkers. My last truck was a '10 Platinum F150 and it served me well because I paid attention to detail and fixed things that broke. I drove it for 13 years and am now proud to be able to have the Raptor. I don't expect perfection but when I got it I did note the things that needed fixing; the exhaust rattles, the tailgate is misaligned and scrapes the bed, the console is a hand guillotine and there's a tumor growing out of part of the steering wheel. That's my entire list of complaints. If nobody else inventories a new truck they buy, I'll eat my hat. I work in the oil field and this truck will not be pretty forever. It will have 30 rock chips and be covered in oil and God knows what. But this first time I take it in I'm going to point out all the things I noticed. I know it's fun for people jump on something they see as whiny, but man, it makes for ****** community building.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If nobody else inventories a new truck they buy, I'll eat my hat. I work in the oil field and this truck will not be pretty forever.
Oh man. This one gets all kinds of shade thrown my way. There seem to be a wide array of opinions here with 2 extremes. I’ll use @MDJAK for the “just give me the keys” end of the spectrum. Although he’s not that far on the edge of that extreme, I think it’s fair to say he is closer to that, but also doesn’t really mind people like me.

I spent almost 4 hours at the stealership, we had an FRF thread that documented things to check on your 2017 which had a pages long list of things buyers had tripped over - panel alignment, loose hoses, leaks, orange peel paint, etc. I checked all the fluids I could, bought my own tire gauge, took about 30 pictures from every angle, crawled up under the truck with a decent light, got pictures there too, then took the test drive, then checked underneath and under the hood again, again with pictures just in case I missed something.

Then we did paperwork. Then I got the interior walkthrough - about 20 minutes, I checked every internal function possible. stereo, fade, balance, bass, treble, windows, moon roof, door locks, sync menu options, seat settings.
Everything went great. Until I left when I slammed the shifter back into manual mode and didn’t realize it :)

We have had some pretty infamous stories here. One ’17 buyer made it like 30 miles until all the coolant was gone, thanks to a loose hose clamp. Another lost a boat load of transmission fluid and the list goes on.
It will have 30 rock chips and be covered in oil and God knows what.
Jayzus! I hope you and the truck don’t get oil cancer ;-)