Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 1 Headlight Switch w/ Fog Pullout Install

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Lighting Modifications Forum [GEN 1]' started by Hopscotch, Dec 10, 2016.

KC HiLiTES
  1. ninjanick

ninjanick Member

Yeah when the switch is pulled out, the line gets battery voltage which is strange since it won't turn on the LEDs. I'm wondering if the LEDs need 12V ... with the vehicle off and the headlights on battery voltage dips below 12V.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Could it be that the ground reference in the switch is different than frame/chassis? That's why the indicator turns on, but not the fogs?

2. ninjanick

ninjanick Member

Thinking about this more ... the only unknown is the switch. Is it at all possible that the ground on the switch is not the same ground as chassis? I was thinking I could test this theory out by connecting the fog light ground leads to this lead thereby completing the circuit, but the wire I used is 20AWG and I always thought good practice was to use the same gauge wire for both power and return.

3. Viperi

Viperi Member

Anyone have a wiring diagram to use the factory rigid wiring harness relay with this mod?

4. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

Just like OP? The fog light switch circuit is grounded when you pull the switch out, and not grounded when pushed in; so you wire the switch to the trigger side, negative of your relay.

5. Viperi

Viperi Member

Yea. I'm not familiar with relays for dc voltage. Kind of confused

6. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

They are! Basically it’s just a switch on one circuit that is turned on and off by another trigger circuit. So the trigger circuit has a positive and a negative side, when you either provide +12V on the positive OR provide-12V (by grounding an otherwise open circuit) you complete the trigger circuit and 12V flows through; that turns “on” the circuit on the other two poles of the relay.

The typical application is for a small circuit to control a larger one. A high-powered light is a good example, you can use smaller wire (and switch) on the trigger circuit and then large (and shorter) wire to carry the actual load. Does that make sense?

Viperi likes this.
  7. Viperi

Viperi Member

It definitely clears things up thank you for taking the time to explain. So the wire to the headlight switch is actually a ground to complete the circuit?

8. BenBB

BenBB Full Access Member

Yes exactly!!