Hauling plywood and lumber in the bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If hauling plywood is a concern of yours, you should just have it delivered....

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another pretty cheap option.

I use it to haul anything over 8'. Lumber, canoes, iceboats, etc. Actually going to use it in a couple weeks to pick up a steel 6x6 for a basketball pole. The reflectors are a nice addition at night, but you should still mark the rear most point of the lumber etc with a blinker or something.

I also have the mopar tie downs on 4 of the bed bolts for some additional tie down points.

Last edited:

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I did order that option but isn't it plastic? Didn't know it could support all that weight without the hinge points breaking

It sits on the bed so the weight isn't on hinges. It's plenty strong and provides an easy way to strap things down.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Here's 25 sheets of 4x8x½" OSB...

rear end sagged a measured 2½" is all. And as you can see it only hangs off the tailgate by 3" not the 6" I estimated earlier.

I'm guessing each sheet weighs about 40lbs so this load was about 1000lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20140228_090110_016.jpg
    IMG_20140228_090110_016.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_20140228_090119_143.jpg
    IMG_20140228_090119_143.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 121

9599svt

Reaction score
Yes there are 2 sets of tie downs on the sidewalls of the bed. One set toward the back and one toward the front and are something like roughly 8" up from the bottom.

I only strap the whole bunk with front and back tiedowns, so two straps. Never had a problem with the bunk shifting around. Just make sure you have decent ratchet straps and you'll be good to go.

The only thing is if your only carrying just a small amount of lumber, then the factory tiedown points may be too high to supply adequate downward pressure to hold the lumber to the bed. If that's the case you can easily add tie down points to the bottom of the bed for prolly less than $50 for 4.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Woopdeedoo! A whole 9"!? If you are carrying plywood that can't support itself over 9" then take that garbage back. :rofl:
Or bring some short 4x4"s to put under the strap as a spacer.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
So you just strapped the top down? You didn't put a strap around the ends sticking out? Like if u accidentally hit the gas too hard, would they cascade out?

No I've never had a problem like that. Between the weight and the static friction from weight plus straps they won't budge. Its probably a possibility if you just floored it but at that point anything not bolted down is gonna move Lol. But I guess if it eases your mind you could throw a strap aroumd the end like you said but I for one prolly won't go thru the hassle.