General Grabber Red Letter in the Snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No experience with either but if you want to make sure they'll perform just get them siped.
Tire Siping - Discount Tire

It is not just the sips, it is also the compound used.
You can make summer tires work better in snow and on ice, but they will never be as good as a winter or all season tire. Also the summer tire will wear very quickly at low temperatures and its dry summer performance will be ruined.

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is not just the sips, it is also the compound used.
You can make summer tires work better in snow and on ice, but they will never be as good as a winter or all season tire. Also the summer tire will wear very quickly at low temperatures and its dry summer performance will be ruined.

True. I would look into chains or cables if your only going to need good snow tires once a year. Plus with chains it will be better than any tire.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as a total newbie to chains, anyone have a suggestion on what to get for these 35" Grabber Red Letters?

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So as a total newbie to chains, anyone have a suggestion on what to get for these 35" Grabber Red Letters?

You can just call up your local auto parts store and they should be able to get you a set. Or you can go to Laclede's site and look up the correct part number and order from somewhere like O'reilly's.

Light Truck and SUVs - Laclede Chain Manufacturing

Laclede 3231R - Tire Chains | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Make for snow wheeling chains are the best. Cables are better for highway driving in snow.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score

V bar chains are expensive but I wouldn't go any other way in deep snow and ice.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright, you guys that were saying the Generals are no good on ice or even in snow? You are totally right. These things are down right scary in anything other than maybe 1 or 2" of fresh powder.

Yesterday we ran what we're calling (tounge in cheek) the "Snoball 70". 70 miles around Lake Tahoe in the snow and ice, mostly pavement, some dirt, all up and down and pretty much zero flat. The GPS says we had near 2 miles in altitude change.

Here's what she looked like after.
attachment.php

And the tires sucked the whole time. So much so, I won't be going back to the snow/ice again with them.

If any of you guys are headed to the real SnoBall run, and you've got these tires, seriously consider swapping them out before.

Attachments

• 580493_10200243899048517_734547400_n.jpg
    580493_10200243899048517_734547400_n.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 838

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright, you guys that were saying the Generals are no good on ice or even in snow? You are totally right. These things are down right scary in anything other than maybe 1 or 2" of fresh powder.

Yesterday we ran what we're calling (tounge in cheek) the "Snoball 70". 70 miles around Lake Tahoe in the snow and ice, mostly pavement, some dirt, all up and down and pretty much zero flat. The GPS says we had near 2 miles in altitude change.

Here's what she looked like after.
attachment.php

And the tires sucked the whole time. So much so, I won't be going back to the snow/ice again with them.

If any of you guys are headed to the real SnoBall run, and you've got these tires, seriously consider swapping them out before.

Thank you for saying this... Stock tires are better then general tires...

-Greg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No doubt Greg, this is serious business. I made sure to have a few hundred pounds in the bed too, and it didn't matter even a little bit. Joy and I both agreed our snow days are over until these tires are gone. The risks just aint worth it.