Gen 3 & R Front Differentials Grenading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my main curiosity is if any of these were covered under warranty. I wouldn't be so sure especially if they get the slightest whiff that it happened offroad. My broken diff sure wasn't.

Obviously Ford running the Baja 1000 isn't going to a dealer begging to have their diff covered, but these other cases.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw 2 explode just this weekend while offroading. Bother driver error as I believe they were offroading and somewhat “landing” in 4WD

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah my main curiosity is if any of these were covered under warranty. I wouldn't be so sure especially if they get the slightest whiff that it happened offroad. My broken diff sure wasn't.
But if it happened on road, you were using it improperly. Abuse is not covered. Sounds like a lose/lose for the customer unless the dealer is willing to defraud Ford. Happily, that's 90% of dealers. For some value of Happily.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if it happened on road, you were using it improperly. Abuse is not covered. Sounds like a lose/lose for the customer unless the dealer is willing to defraud Ford. Happily, that's 90% of dealers. For some value of Happily.
Unless you're using 4A.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw 2 explode just this weekend while offroading. Bother driver error as I believe they were offroading and somewhat “landing” in 4WD
I would love more details on this. You are standing at the foot of a jump and "saw" them explode? Or you passed them on a trail and overheard they exploded? I have been offroading my raptors hard since 2018. Passed, talket to, jumped with, etc etc hundreds and hundreds of Raptors. Some drivers absolute ding dongs, other well seasoned expericencd drivers and I have never seen or heard of a differential in the wild having inoperable damage, let alone exploding. Id love more context here.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love more details on this. You are standing at the foot of a jump and "saw" them explode? Or you passed them on a trail and overheard they exploded? I have been offroading my raptors hard since 2018. Passed, talket to, jumped with, etc etc hundreds and hundreds of Raptors. Some drivers absolute ding dongs, other well seasoned expericencd drivers and I have never seen or heard of a differential in the wild having inoperable damage, let alone exploding. Id love more context here.
correct.
Gen 3 took off, and upon landing, small cloud of sparks and then a ton of diff fluid on the track. Once truck was clear and safe off track, we looked under and the front diff didn’t just crack. It exploded. Bad enough that the owner could not limp home in 2WD.

Half shaft and both CV’s had to be removed for him to be able to safely drive the 3 hours home with no binding/grinding.

There are photos. But I will not post or give more details due to owner request and warranty purposes.

I was on the sidelines at the time, but confirmed with owner truck was in Baja mode 4H. Did not ask if he was on throttle when landed but it personally sounded like he was.