Gen 3 & R Front Differentials Grenading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they landed nose down or pretty flat. I would imagine with the transfer case locked and the front and back axles tied together a nose first landing suddenly changing wheel speed to one differential which then would have to force the rear to sync with same wheel speed could break something. Especially if you're on the gas. I wonder how 4A does in Baja? Id think 4A taking the required 50/50 split of power out of equation would be softer on the bits.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I wonder if they landed nose down or pretty flat. I would imagine with the transfer case locked and the front and back axles tied together a nose first landing suddenly changing wheel speed to one differential which then would have to force the rear to sync with same wheel speed could break something. Especially if you're on the gas. I wonder how 4A does in Baja? Id think 4A taking the required 50/50 split of power out of equation would be softer on the bits.
4a is not selectable in Baja

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my '23 with 12k miles has been sitting at a dealer in South Dakota because my front diff blew up while on vacation.

blew up on 4A on a gravel road with 1/2" of snow cover at 35 mph.
I wish I had a cool story.
its been sitting there for a month waiting for lift time.
tech did initial inspection and said passenger drive shaft complete sheared at the diff,

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Based on this report, I’ve removed my front diff completely. It’s done wonders. Even cured the noise emanating from the speakers called music.
did you pull the shaft or the whole carrier assembly?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
At Raptor Assault they specifically tell you NOT to jump in 4WD because of the strain it does to components
As opposed to, say, the ‘baja’ course the set up ? not for nothing, but the trucks are locked in 4h baja at 50-70 mph over terrain that would tear a street vehicle in two.

I’m not disagreeing with you btw, just I’d like to understand how we’re significantly different in the various use cases.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As opposed to, say, the ‘baja’ course the set up ? not for nothing, but the trucks are locked in 4h baja at 50-70 mph over terrain that would tear a street vehicle in two.

I’m not disagreeing with you btw, just I’d like to understand how we’re significantly different in the various use cases.

maybe another reason for no torsen diff...

or maybe it makes it worse with one wheel overspeeding in the air and when landing boom goes the diff...

is this a housing, or differential failure??