Gen 3 & R Front Differentials Grenading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awd5906

Reaction score
After you remove the front diff you should lower your raptor too. It handles so much better in the twisties and it’s a lot easier to grab your latte and scone at the drive through window. I’m surprised it doesn’t come this way from the factory.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has the forum heard about an issue with the Gen 3 & Rs front differentials blowing up? I don't have all the details, but I hear the badness occurs when in 4 wheel and hard breaking combined with engine deceleration that is blowing things up. I have heard of three occurrences and all were in trucks that offroad

Has anyone else heard of this?
Mine (gen 2) hasn't blown up yet, but I am trying my hardest.

OP
OP
Clockton

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Forum used to be helpful....

This is a Gen 3, R issue. The Ford Baja 1000 R blew up 2 Front Diffs prerunning for the 1000. My friends stayed at the same hotel as Ford and saw it firsthand. Ford just swapped them out. Another friend who owns a Gen 3 and lives in Baja has had the same issue.
This is a problem if you offroad truck a good amount ....

XwerX

Reaction score
T
I think I saw one post on here about a front pinion? I’ve noticed more vibration from the front in 4wd but that’s about it. Torque steer seems to be non existent but I’ve heard of that being present for some people.
Has the forum heard about an issue with the Gen 3 & Rs front differentials blowing up? I don't have all the details, but I hear the badness occurs when in 4 wheel and hard breaking combined with engine deceleration that is blowing things up. I have heard of three occurrences and all were in trucks that offroad

Has anyone else heard of this?
Not this issue specifically but the front differential pinion failure truck is mine. It didn’t grenade but failed with 14k miles. The issue started way before 14k. Truck is a EB 23 model.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

NOC7URN

Reaction score
I know of two guys who have blown their Diff (both Gen 3), one had it literally crack in half and it left him 3 hours from home. (Apparently the front Diff still spins, even in 2WD; so you cant limp home). The diffs were on national backorder for a while last summer and that was a conversation point at raptor assault this year; they had at least one truck down as well with a blown diff. So yeah - It seems to be a pattern.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This Forum used to be helpful....

This is a Gen 3, R issue. The Ford Baja 1000 R blew up 2 Front Diffs prerunning for the 1000. My friends stayed at the same hotel as Ford and saw it firsthand. Ford just swapped them out. Another friend who owns a Gen 3 and lives in Baja has had the same issue.
This is a problem if you offroad truck a good amount ....
Im not liking the sound of that. I had my gen 2 front diff "crack in half". Weak housing.

noraptor

Reaction score
I know of two guys who have blown their Diff (both Gen 3), one had it literally crack in half and it left him 3 hours from home. (Apparently the front Diff still spins, even in 2WD; so you cant limp home). The diffs were on national backorder for a while last summer and that was a conversation point at raptor assault this year; they had at least one truck down as well with a blown diff. So yeah - It seems to be a pattern.

Gee, what a deal...And stealers even want ADM for this?? This isn't good.