Gen 2 V8 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 I ordered and took delivery in mid August. First V6 I’ve ever owned. Always a die hard V8 guy. After Ford revealed the gen 2 I started to warm up to the idea of an EcoBoost. So I traded in my perfectly good 2016 F150 5.0 lariat FX4 with 52k miles on it for the raptor. Don’t regret it one bit. Absolutely love this truck. I had my 2016 and a 2019 Camaro ZL1 but life changed and felt like I should cut the cost of the ZL1 so I made a solid deal with my local dealer that I’ve done a decent amount of business with and traded in my 16 F150 and ZL1 for the raptor. Couldn’t be happier with my decision. I didn’t drive the ZL1 but once a week. I love the raptor because I get the sense of occasion every. Single. Day. It’s so fun to drive.

Power train wise the raptor is staying stock besides the JLT catch can. I run shell 93, Mobile 1 and I’m content with its performance.

That being said, I see some guys post about engine problems on the gen 2. Guessing it’s easily the vast minority having issues but once you see multiple guys having engine replacements under 40k miles you start to think, what would you do in the event your engine fails out of warranty or even under warranty and you lose that confidence. As an enthusiast we are extremely sensitive to the level of confidence we have in our shit, myself included.

So the question I ask myself is what would I do. Buy a boring tundra or another regular F150 that I don’t enjoy the same way, replace the EcoBoost or instead keep the truck I’m crazy about but make it what it should have been with a V8 (just my opinion). Some will disagree and defend the EcoBoost.. I get it.

I’ve only seen Hennessy advertise a coyote swap and I’m kind of surprised. I wouldn’t send anything to him with his reputation for being a crook. Is there anyone on the forum that’s put a coyote or any other V8 in their truck? If so where did you have it done, why did it cost and why has your experience been like? I’m curious to know what it takes from a wiring, ecu standpoint in particular and what it costs. If mine weren’t under warranty or I voided the warranty, Id look at a V8 swap before throwing in the towel or putting in another turbo V6.

Again, I’m loving mine with the EcoBoost and I have no plans to screw with it. I’m keeping my warranty. Posting this mainly for entertainment and I’m curious to hear some V8 swap stories.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Hasn’t happened yet. Hennessy truck is a lifted f150 so not even the same. The big issue I have seen would be to get the drive modes to work. I’m sure Dave will be the first to figure it out.

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just need a donor 3.5 gt engine so we can start building those parts

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Don't believe anything Hennessy says, I'm sure it's a butcher job and lots of shit doesn't work right.

You would have to create a whole new PCM and software for this to happen.
It says ford PCM and wire harness.