Gen 2 for Gen 3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picking up my Gen 3 Tuesday. They are also letting me take my tonneau cover and other things off my truck that I want AND it is Led Foot again! I personally love this color-love Code Orange too but Led Foot is just timeless. I have owned it for 3 1/2 years and still love it every time I stare at it.

Thanks all for the thoughts. Both my Gen 1 and Gen 2 have been my favorite trucks I have owned and have high hopes for my Gen 3. So many miles on them over the past 9 years!

irojas

Reaction score
I can elaborate on the differences.
Sound is night and day better very crisp and much more throaty/aggressive. I really like it in all modes plus ability to put it in quite mode when towing.
Suspension night and day better, it’s way softer on the small stuff but handles better and takes big hits much better plus puts the power to the ground much much better.
Engine/transmission like it was totally redesigned. Lag is almost non existent with way more power through the rev range, much smoother and fluid feeling, the transmission is night and day so much smoother and smarter its hard to explain but again it’s like it was completely redesigned.
Interior is obviously way nicer with much better displays and features not even a comparison.
Headlights are a huge improvement and a pleasant surprise.
Appearance is personal, I like the new design as much or more but it definitely wasn’t a driving factor for me. They both look awesome.
Having owned a 2018 for 1 year and a 2019 for 2.5 years I feel very qualified to give this comparison. The 2018 I felt rode much better then the 2019 but felt sloppy and tippy in turns, the tranny logic was awful. The 2019 handled better but was very rough over small to medium bumps and terrible on bumpy dirt roads as far as the back end kicking out, the transmission logic was better but still not spot on. In my opinion, the 2021 has been under promised and over delivered, it perfected basically everything that annoyed me in the G2 2018 and 2019. All of them have been 801A trucks.
I agree with all you said, and would add that the seats are more comfortable too.

G2G3Iconic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at about 2500 miles on my Gen 3 (35 801A)

Highs (compared to my 2018 801A)
Better Suspension for high speed off roading. (this is probably the biggest difference) It is markedly better offroad. It is also much better at rock crawling. (spent some time in Moab this weekend).
Better transmission feel. The holding in third gear too long is gone and to me driving in "normal" mode is now more similar to the previous "sport" mode. Im not saying the new normal mode is the same as the Gen2 sport mode, but my gen2 seemed very sluggish compared to the normal G3 tuning in normal mode. I no longer switch to sport mode to drive around town.
Interior is definite upgrade. Did 18 hours in the seats this weekend. I can say unequivocally the non Recaros are better (at least for my aching back) than in my Gen2.
Fuel economy is better. No Clue why. possibly a newer truck? Not enough to write home about. But I could pull an easy 20mpg on some of my highway drives. Still at 15.5 overall.
I may be int he minority, but I really prefer the front end of my G3. I always thouth from the side my G2 was too "pointy". if that is a thing.

Lows Possibly it is that I am too used to my G2 controls, but I think some of the controls in the G3 are not as intuitive (changing driving modes is not as intuitive)
High speed asphalt cornering. At really high speeds (passing on curvy mountain roads 80 mph plus) the rear suspension is not quite as composed. Not scary, but not as solid as the G2.

I would make the change 10 times out of 10 if I had it to do again. Got more in trade for my G2 than I paid in '18. Paid a small ADM, but called it a wash with my value on my trade. No regrets.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree on the highspeed lane change. I just experienced this a couple of days ago and it was not scary but didn't feel quite as composed

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big time! They already are.
Wait till that Raptor R comes out…. Then we will all be ******! The Gen 3 community will also see the trucks values drop like a rock! The Gen 3 is a great truck with 37’s and a MUST if buying one! Total game changer from the gen 2 to gen 3 offering 37 package….

DeepSeaMofo423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im at about 2500 miles on my Gen 3 (35 801A)

Highs (compared to my 2018 801A)
Better Suspension for high speed off roading. (this is probably the biggest difference) It is markedly better offroad. It is also much better at rock crawling. (spent some time in Moab this weekend).
Better transmission feel. The holding in third gear too long is gone and to me driving in "normal" mode is now more similar to the previous "sport" mode. Im not saying the new normal mode is the same as the Gen2 sport mode, but my gen2 seemed very sluggish compared to the normal G3 tuning in normal mode. I no longer switch to sport mode to drive around town.
Interior is definite upgrade. Did 18 hours in the seats this weekend. I can say unequivocally the non Recaros are better (at least for my aching back) than in my Gen2.
Fuel economy is better. No Clue why. possibly a newer truck? Not enough to write home about. But I could pull an easy 20mpg on some of my highway drives. Still at 15.5 overall.
I may be int he minority, but I really prefer the front end of my G3. I always thouth from the side my G2 was too "pointy". if that is a thing.

Lows Possibly it is that I am too used to my G2 controls, but I think some of the controls in the G3 are not as intuitive (changing driving modes is not as intuitive)
High speed asphalt cornering. At really high speeds (passing on curvy mountain roads 80 mph plus) the rear suspension is not quite as composed. Not scary, but not as solid as the G2.

I would make the change 10 times out of 10 if I had it to do again. Got more in trade for my G2 than I paid in '18. Paid a small ADM, but called it a wash with my value on my trade. No regrets.
Should have drove the Gen2 with Fox 3.0 live valve shocks, a game changer across the boards for the Gen2… not my words but Ford Performance Instructor’s at Raptor Assault… looks of the Gen 2 vs 3 are not even close… Gen2 FTW… Gen 3’s front end looks like a fat chick… big and wide with curves and lines in all the wrong places… Rest of the Gen 3 looks good though!