Gen 1 Deavers +3 HD (Custom 500lbs)

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

I never lose money by trading in a used vehicle to a dealer. Regardless of how much they offer you, they always make money on your trade. You will make far more selling it privately with all of the parts still intact.

I don't know how you think you never lose money when trading in your vehicle to a dealer because your dealer did not give you an additional $1000 on your trade in just because you had Deavers (plus whatever other mods you had on the truck). I got top dollar on my trade in plus I picked up a 2020 for invoice. I made more money parting out my Gen 1 parts than what I could have sold my Gen 1 for outright. Not to mention, the tax credit on my trade in.

Heavily modified Raptors are a niche market and don't sell very well privately. The majority of the trucks on this forum never sell. I wasn't going to dicker around with people and wait for that perfect buyer to come along. You are going to lose money period when you start going the modified route. It is just a matter of how much you lose and what percentage you can recoup back. Parting the truck out allows you to recoup a higher percentage of your money back.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will try to make it simple, I never trade in a vehicle, period. (With or without aftermarket parts) I hate to break it to you, but the amount a dealer gives you is at least $5-10K less than you can sell it for privately. If you really want to remove all of your parts, you will make much more selling your stripped Raptor on your own. The fact you paid invoice for your 2020 has no bearing on how much you forfeited by not selling your Gen 1 privately. They are two separate transactions and the dealer is in business to make as much as possible on both.

I pay cash for my cars because I can. I buy the new one at the best possible price and do not give the dealer a second chance to make money on my trade. I was in no hurry, but I sold my low mileage, heavily modified Gen 1 privately in two weeks at full asking price. I am pretty sure I recouped much more of my total spend and I saved myself the effort of removing all the parts.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

I will try to make it simple, I never trade in a vehicle, period. (With or without aftermarket parts) I hate to break it to you, but the amount a dealer gives you is at least $5-10K less than you can sell it for privately. If you really want to remove all of your parts, you will make much more selling your stripped Raptor on your own. The fact you paid invoice for your 2020 has no bearing on how much you forfeited by not selling your Gen 1 privately. They are two separate transactions and the dealer is in business to make as much as possible on both.

I pay cash for my cars because I can. I buy the new one at the best possible price and do not give the dealer a second chance to make money on my trade. I was in no hurry, but I sold my low mileage, heavily modified Gen 1 privately in two weeks at full asking price. I am pretty sure I recouped much more of my total spend and I saved myself the effort of removing all the parts.

We have different philosophies man. Some of your points I agree with, while others I do not. This was my fourth Raptor purchase and I have done extremely well on all the deals that I have worked. Sure, I could have sold the truck privately in its stock configuration. But given COVID-19, who knows how long it would have took me to sell the truck. Not to get off topic, but no one knows how these next couple of months are going to go with our economy. So I only forfeited about $3k between what I could have sold it privately for in its stock configuration and what the dealership offered me on the trade in with a tax credit. Not to mention, you are comparing apples to oranges when making the comparison of selling your Gen 1 and my Gen 1. Mine had 91k miles on it and yours was low mileage. That makes a big difference in how easily the truck will sell. The value of my truck privately is close in value to Gen 1s with 30k miles less than mine. In other words, why would someone want to buy my truck when for nearly the same amount of money they can buy one with 30k miles less than mine? Sure, someone would eventually buy mine. But it is not worth my time to dicker around and wait for that person. Again, no one knows how the market is going to respond to the government printing trillions of dollars when we already have a massive budget deficit and owe over 23 trillions dollars in debt. In light of such things, I paid with a cashiers check too :)

Things are not always black and white. I understand where you are coming from. But I did really well on my deal and am pleased.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough, I also agree with some of your points. :cool: You would have had a harder time selling one with 91k miles, especially now, when everyone is holding on to their cash until things improve.

My 2010 Gen1 SCAB was 8 years old and only had 45K miles when I sold it for $6K less than what I paid for it brand new. Of course, I added a fair number of mods, but I recouped some of my mod money by selling the original parts when they were still new. The factory tires/wheels sold for about half what I paid for my Grabbers and Methods, the front bumper and skid plate was another couple hundred, the factory door handles was another $50. Since I sold everything I could and tossed the rest, I did not have to store Gen 1 parts in my garage for 8 years.

On my Gen 2, I sold my factory parts right away, so I have nothing to put back on. (People love the factory tires and wheels for some reason...) In two years my Gen 2 has less than 15K miles, so I am on track to keep the miles low on this one, as well. I will sell it as is when the time comes, as I already have a couple of out-of-state relatives who are interested in it. Everyone not from Texas likes to say, I bought my truck in Texas. LOL

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 17706

SOLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: