Gaps in bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also need to remember the tailgate is extremely porous. Water, dust, snow, mud all comes through big gaps around tailgate. Never understood why they don’t make the tailgate seal like the doors. Pretty much required to put a barrier up if you have a tonneau and want to keep crap from filtering in. I used the following for $22:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPQWXZQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Easy to install and does the trick.

yeah I've been meaning to do this as well

I live in a desert

NayR

Reaction score
Must be nice to have a Bakflip that actually seals out the water...
To OP. I don’t think it’s the bed gaps, it’s your tonneau cover.

To Jimmy, agreed. Mine leaks a bit from the back, of I move it further back, then it a pita to close the gate without lifting up the cover. Oh the truck life.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be nice to have a Bakflip that actually seals out the water...
I had BAK mx4 on my old 2017 Roush Supercharged and never had problem of water getting inside the bed. Of course when I pressure washed whole truck some water always got in but it was minimal. With regular rain never had a problem.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had BAK mx4 on my old 2017 Roush Supercharged and never had problem of water getting inside the bed. Of course when I pressure washed whole truck some water always got in but it was minimal. With regular rain never had a problem.

I have one on my 2019 and my experience has been the same. Stays pretty dry.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my 2019 and my experience has been the same. Stays pretty dry.
The main thing is to install it good making sure all rubber seals from supporting railings sit really tight to the plastic trim around the bed. Same.goes for the seal that sits on top bed thats right behind back window. You have to position it so it sits flat on it not sticking out or not to far towards the inside of the bed.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main thing is to install it good making sure all rubber seals from supporting railings sit really tight to the plastic trim around the bed. Same.goes for the seal that sits on top bed thats right behind back window. You have to position it so it sits flat on it not sticking out or not to far towards the inside of the bed.

I must have done a good job

Blue72ss

Reaction score
Also need to remember the tailgate is extremely porous. Water, dust, snow, mud all comes through big gaps around tailgate. Never understood why they don’t make the tailgate seal like the doors. Pretty much required to put a barrier up if you have a tonneau and want to keep crap from filtering in. I used the following for $22:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IPQWXZQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Easy to install and does the trick.

Are you installing the weather stripping all around the tailgate or just top and bottom? Sides?

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you installing the weather stripping all around the tailgate or just top and bottom? Sides?

The ESI product is designed to cover the sides and bottom and has specific instructions for each vehicle. Works very well. I’m sure there are other similar products out there which I consider absolutely Mandatory if you have any kind of topper. Seems kinda pointless without it as all kinds of debris come in through very large gaps in the tailgate fitment. The tonneau should seal the top portion of the tailgate or there is a problem with your tonneau cover.

Last edited: