Front timing cover oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptcrush

Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor started to develop burned oil smell some time ago. I took it to the dealer to have it inspected. They came back with a leaking front timing cover. This is a big job and I am lucky to have it covered by Ford's extended warranty as my truck has 75K on it. I was curious if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

STHenry

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your timing cover leak. I have an early build 2018 and the timing cover leaked at just over 4,000 miles. Had it repaired at the dealer and the timing cover has been good ever since. They even managed to get the plastic pan to stop leaking on the third try.

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 with 40k just had this fixed this week. Hope it stays fixed...haha

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was delivered brand new with a crack in it, so I got you all beat! I had it back in 2 days, the dealer did a good job with the repair. No issues afterwards, and they cleaned it up really good because they are aware I'm super **** with my vehicles.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor started to develop burned oil smell some time ago. I took it to the dealer to have it inspected. They came back with a leaking front timing cover. This is a big job and I am lucky to have it covered by Ford's extended warranty as my truck has 75K on it. I was curious if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

My 2017 had the same thing. I noticed losing 1 qt every 5k and was able to visualize the leak and fixed under warranty.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 had it too at 30k miles. Funny thing is I took it in for the ac leak on the passenger side floor and the service tech misunderstood leak and went looking for an oil leak. Found both the oil pan and the timing cover leaking.

I hadn’t noticed a thing??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2019 had it too at 30k miles. Funny thing is I took it in for the ac leak on the passenger side floor and the service tech misunderstood leak and went looking for an oil leak. Found both the oil pan and the timing cover leaking.

I hadn’t noticed a thing??

Sometimes a slight leak can end up dripping on the exhaust and rarely make it to the ground so there is nothing to see where you park. If you don't sit much in traffic you may not smell it either.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 has an oil leak now. It’s 45 days past the three year warranty with a whopping 16,300 miles on the odometer. Fingers crossed.

it will be covered under the 5yr/60k…trick is getting it fixed in a timely matter