Front License Plate Bracket Holes in Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny

Reaction score
Need some help! Have a 2017 Supercrew Raptor and removed the front license plate bracket in order to get the front end wrapped in film. Decided to install the bracket again and used an exacto knife to cut an "X" in the hole where the film went over the hole. Only issue, there seems to be some type of rubber piece directly behind the bumper holes because the knife only went in about 1/8" then after a slight pressure went in 1/4" until the knife bottomed out in the hole. Does anyone know what is directly behind these license plate bracket holes in the bumper? Seems like a piece of rubber or weatherstripping. Drove the truck quite a bit after remounting the license plate bracket and had no issues. Can't believe Ford would put some type of hose or anything major directly behind the holes. I ended up using 1" blue plastic drywall expansion anchors for the bracket screws to expand and hold the bracket in place when it originally had big rivets that I drilled out to remove. Any/all help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Messiah62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I saw them use a river looking then when they installed the front plate holder on mine.

lightman02

Reaction score
I used drywall anchors and screws through the existing holes on mine with no issues, I didn't use the rivets. The piece you speak of is easily moved out of the way with a small screw driver. I beileve it's some kind of liner on the back of the bumper it's not a hose or anything crucial.

Last edited:

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in SoCal and Nevada----Nevada doesn't require a front plate (depends if manufacturer has front bracket built in )and I hate drllling my front bumper on any vehicle....so I use (4) zip locks to mount license plate brackets---totally hidden from site and very strong and adds a level of theft resistance---SoCal (LA) enforces front plate...not so much in Orange County....obviously it depends on the vehicle you are trying to mount---with a grill like the Raptor--there are many anchor points to use Zip Locks---

And I can remove plate without any unsightly holes....

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a front plate in 11 years and it's required in TX...

When I was 25, yep, agreed. But I like to have a beer or two (maybe 3) on the way home or at dinner. Last thing I need is to get hassled by the popo just because i didn't have a plate. Over the limit, nope, buzzed, nope, but no plate will catch you unneeded grief. I chose to conform.. sigh.

The law is stupid, but its the oldest reason in the book to pull you over aside from tapping out the taillight with a 6 Dcell Maglight while walking to the drivers side window.

bjinc

Reaction score
When I was 25, yep, agreed. But I like to have a beer or two (maybe 3) on the way home or at dinner. Last thing I need is to get hassled by the popo just because i didn't have a plate. Over the limit, nope, buzzed, nope, but no plate will catch you unneeded grief. I chose to conform.. sigh.

The law is stupid, but its the oldest reason in the book to pull you over aside from tapping out the taillight with a 6 Dcell Maglight while walking to the drivers side window.

I'm with you.

Lived in Texas and never installed the front plate (car didn't even come with holes or a bracket; the only options were aftermarket), never got hassled. Came to Virginia and tried the same, got pulled over and ticketed within a few weeks. Had to take it to court, where it was dismissed when I showed them a picture of the car with the plate. The cop was a huge **** about it, too - all it takes is one bored cop and you're wasting your time/money with court and fines.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I've been in a parking garage with State Troopers for over 11 years now. They see my truck every day and just don't care. In fact, when I have been pulled over for speeding (2 times in 11 years), neither time did the trooper even mention not having a front plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc