forscan \ Glarefree headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCM

Reaction score
Has everyone been happy with the performance of the glare free? I enabled this about a year ago. From my perspective it works great. It smoothly transitions and is definitely working, but every time I use it, I am constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic. When I turn it off, the flashing from oncoming traffic stops.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do we know if you didn’t run the APIM reset and have made all of the other changes for the Glare Free headlights, will you need to enter all of the changes again that occur after the reset step if you go back and do the reset? I made the assumption that if I wrote the changes and cycled the system, it was the same thing as the reset (I know, don’t assume). Other than that misstep, things seemed to have worked.
Cycling the system is not the same as a reset. Cycling the system (engine cycle) only writes/changes a particular code within a module. Performing a reset affects the module as a whole. It doesn’t matter the order in which you make each change, just be sure to reset the APIM (I did the APIM last as it required an engine cycle & a reset). Many have successfully done this. Can’t skip steps & expect things to work properly. Gotta follow ALL the steps, my man.
I have the Glare Free option in the lighting menu and the green high beam with an A in it appeared on the instrument cluster after I engagd the option. However, I’m not certain it is functioning as it should. I did a test drive last night and noticed that when the road got dark, the system engaged the high beams (like it should) but that the transition was sudden and the blue high beam light appears above the green A high beam light. The system will drop the high beams and the blue high beam indicator when there is oncoming traffic or things like street lights.
Is your headlight control knob set to Auto? If not, set to Auto & forget it. Is Glare Free displaying (and enabled) in your settings? The transition is smooth…not sudden as you described.
From what I’ve read here and in the Forscan thread, this doesn’t appear to be correct. It sounds more like the auto high beam function Is engaged and not the true Glare Free option. Is this the expected behavior of the Glare Free system?
See the video I posted about glare free (post #27).
Has everyone been happy with the performance of the glare free?
Read the “Gen 3 Forscan” thread and you’ll have your answer. No need to repost what’s been overwhelmingly stated numerous times.
I enabled this about a year ago. From my perspective it works great. It smoothly transitions and is definitely working, but every time I use it, I am constantly getting flashed by oncoming traffic. When I turn it off, the flashing from oncoming traffic stops.
Are you traveling down uneven or bumpy roads? This could give the appearance that someone is being flashed.

khildebr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cycling the system is not the same as a reset. Cycling the system (engine cycle) only writes/changes a particular code within a module. Performing a reset affects the module as a whole. It doesn’t matter the order in which you make each change, just be sure to reset the APIM (I did the APIM last as it required an engine cycle & a reset). Many have successfully done this. Can’t skip steps & expect things to work properly. Gotta follow ALL the steps, my man.

Is your headlight control knob set to Auto? If not, set to Auto & forget it. Is Glare Free displaying (and enabled) in your settings? The transition is smooth…not sudden as you described.

See the video I posted about glare free (post #27).
Yep, understand and went back and reset the APIM module But good to know that the timing doesn’t matter just that it gets reset. :) The headlight control was set to Auto and Glare Free was displaying when I did the test run last night. i’m assuming that in Glare Free when it transitions to high beam that having the blue high beam indicator coming on over the green with an A Glare Free indicator isn’t correct. So we’ll see tonight if there is a difference in the display and function.

DCM

Reaction score
Read the “Gen 3 Forscan” thread and you’ll have your answer. No need to repost what’s been overwhelmingly stated numerous times.
Thank you for your response. That is very helpful. If You read this thread you will see that I have several posts in this thread both about the glare free headlights and the quiet time exhaust. Sorry for asking a question.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. That is very helpful. If You read this thread you will see that I have several posts in this thread both about the glare free headlights and the quiet time exhaust. Sorry for asking a question.
I have read THIS THREAD and wasn’t talking about THIS THREAD. If you even attempt to read the 100+ comment thread I referenced above (where glare free all started), guys speak highly about this mod. Sorry for trying to steer you in the right direction.

flockofraptors

Reaction score
Yep, understand and went back and reset the APIM module But good to know that the timing doesn’t matter just that it gets reset. :) The headlight control was set to Auto and Glare Free was displaying when I did the test run last night. i’m assuming that in Glare Free when it transitions to high beam that having the blue high beam indicator coming on over the green with an A Glare Free indicator isn’t correct. So we’ll see tonight if there is a difference in the display and function.
Correct, it should show only the green A while the lights inc highs do their auto adjust throughout your drive

Let us know what happens on your drive tonight, or take some videos, too

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did last night's drive go?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's also a small oddity that I noticed one night (don't drive much after dark so I'm still technically playing with this mod still) that when glare free is enabled, though under speed or otherwise conditions have not been met for the system to turn on and be active, one can still flash high beams by pulling back on the stalk.

When the system is active, you cannot.

I figure that should be a pretty clear indication that you have it working correctly.