"Fording" water in a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HUFN8OR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the Raptor Supplement section Water Wading it states "Your vehicle is designed to operate in water depths up to 32 inches (810 millimeters)."

32 inches is almost the full diameter of the tires, well above the exhaust tips, and several inches into the door sills.

I was just curious if anyone has actually done any water crossings in a stock Raptor like this and if so what the depth was estimated at, if there were any issues, or any leaks into the cabin?

I have no intentional plans on doing this anytime soon, but Spring/Summer in Houston can often lead to street floodings and it would be nice to know what the real-world water capabilities are for the Raptor.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just based on what I have seen in pictures the air intake is up near the top of the radiator on the Raptor. Usually as long as you don't suck water through the motor you'll be ok... This doesn't mean you won't get water places like in Differentials with breather lines, in the doors etc however the real mess is when your engine tries to compress water.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a guy that has had a Raptor go through a recent complete overhaul due to a water fording accident take it from me, do not go through water at that depth. Stay with water that is below the door sills. The water will come into the cab as the doors will not completely seal and there are many electrical components (at least on the gen 1 trucks) that will need replaced if they get wet. Avoid water like the plague if possible and if not know the depth you are entering.

Buckle up, I want to try something!