Ford Motorcraft touch up paint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zaman

Reaction score
Potentially very stupid question warning: I just picked up some touch up paint (Agate Black Metallic - UM) from the local Ford dealership to fill in some paint chips on the hood. Was wondering if I should be adding a clear coat after filling in the chips?

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you go to your local dealer and ask who they use for paint touch up id go that way. A good paint touch up guy will make it look like nothing ever happened and its not insanely expensive.

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DONT DO IT. Get DR color chip instead. Its a gel like based paint with clear that dries as if you never had a chip mark. OEM paint touch up typically just colors the chip, but does not level it. Trust me. Dr. Color chip!!!

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt. Any kind of clear coat that would come in a touch up paint will look worse than leaving it without.
this is true. trust us dont use the clear. it will look horrible. ask me how i know.

8250_RPM

Reaction score
DONT DO IT. Get DR color chip instead. Its a gel like based paint with clear that dries as if you never had a chip mark. OEM paint touch up typically just colors the chip, but does not level it. Trust me. Dr. Color chip!!!
Ditto. Dr. Colorchip is the way to go. I've used it several times over the last few years with the best results over any OEM paint.

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^I once had a glorious V8 M3 with 8250rpm limit. I miss that high revving motor!