FORD in a Rush to the finish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13' SCAB has quite a few blemishes. Has sharp debris (almost like metal shavings) in the paint on both front doors, a large drip in the paint at the bottom of the driver side door, and driver side back door threshold has very large holidays in it where it did not get completely covered by paint, and the grey/blue primer shows through.

I probably would have said something when i picked it up from the dealer but was too excited and didn't notice it!!

I did wait 6 months as well and expected it to have a better paint job... guess my standards are a little too high?!!!

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 13' SCAB has quite a few blemishes. Has sharp debris (almost like metal shavings) in the paint on both front doors, a large drip in the paint at the bottom of the driver side door, and driver side back door threshold has very large holidays in it where it did not get completely covered by paint, and the grey/blue primer shows through.

I probably would have said something when i picked it up from the dealer but was too excited and didn't notice it!!

I did wait 6 months as well and expected it to have a better paint job... guess my standards are a little too high?!!!

WOW! I didn't see anything in the forum about these issues or maybe I overlooked them. All my "spots in question" seemed to be confined to the front cap. I kind of was figuring it was just Raptor final assembly were the problem might lie. I'm not sure of the assembly process, but I assumed they hit the Raptor line as a painted cab and chassis, and front cap, bed, suspension, etc was assembled separately. That would kind of explain, in my case, why the issues with the paint were only in the front cap. I haven't found issues anywhere else on mine. Hopefully I don't run across anything else.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as orange peel goes, it's kind of the direction the industry is headed, I've seen BMWs, Mercedes, and even maseratis with orange peel, it's due to the paint baths that cars go through now

OP
OP
OUTCAST

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as orange peel goes, it's kind of the direction the industry is headed, I've seen BMWs, Mercedes, and even maseratis with orange peel, it's due to the paint baths that cars go through now

Orange peel would mean it had paint on it, too much or bad surface prep. I, and others according to previous post, I'm seeing gray (and RED)!

*on another note, no one caught, what I thought was witty, Rush to the 'Finish'?! Lol*

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I've heard of the newer trucks looking like this! I have a 2010 5.4L I got back in January of 2010 brand new and te paint was flawless and even over 3 years later looks amazing. Yea I have a ton of scratches down both sides and down the roof but the spots that aren't scratched still sparkle like new! I've said it many times before and I'm gonna stick to it the 2010's have to be the best year for the raptor ever!! They need to step up their game at ford and hire QC guys that actually give a shit about ther jobs

SonnyAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my '13 Silver crew to arrive...Maybe I shouln't look at it too closely when it does - At least I don't have a '10 to compare it to!!
Hopefully the robots will be in a better mood when they paint mine!! :)

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was worried about the paint on my Raptor because I ordered Tuxedo Black and read about eggshell, thin paint ext. here. But I was lucky, the paint is perfect every panel. Even inside of the truck bed is perfect. A coupled of small scratches, but I am to blame for them.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 2011 molten has the same problems, looks like sand in the paint in areas. a big blob of paint in the center of the tail gate. and orange peel in the rear scab doors. dealer said they could touch it up. nah I will live with it also. don't want to have a worse looking truck with a touched up paint job.

Orange peel would mean it had paint on it, too much or bad surface prep. I, and others according to previous post, I'm seeing gray (and RED)!

*on another note, no one caught, what I thought was witty, Rush to the 'Finish'?! Lol*

Beemerman mentioned orange peel on his doors