GEN 2 Ford F-150 Raptor Race Truck Finishes Mint 400!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
At least Ford is not claiming 1st Place...

ALL-NEW FORD F-150 RAPTOR RACE TRUCK FINISHES GRUELING BEST IN THE DESERT MINT 400 OFF-ROAD RACEl

cq5dam.web.480.480.jpg

DEARBORN, Mich., March 15, 2016 – The sound of hard rock from satellite radio filled the cabin as the production-based 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor race truck finished the demanding Best in the Desert Mint 400 off-road race this past weekend.

Piloted by drivers Greg Foutz and Tim Casey, Ford F-150 Raptor race truck is the only stock truck competing in the Best in the Desert factory stock class for full-sized trucks (Class 1200), making it the first such vehicle to finish a race in this class.

The Ford F-150 Raptor race truck is one of only 19 teams in the limited group – out of a total of 68 – to finish the 2016 Mint 400.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, ok - I'll say it. I think that it is pretty cool that they did this race. Although none of the other manufacturers had anything that could compete (or finish) it is still a race. This is obviously a pretty grueling run looking at the amount of other vehicles that didn't make it. Ford needs to keep showing the public that this truck is capable of doing this type of thing. I guess we need to remember that on some of our Raptor runs, there are trucks that have mechanical issues. We all stop and help fix them. Then we all continue on. I experienced that myself this year at Snoball. Something small like a thermostat shut me down.

I guess the biggest thing that started all this shit storm stuff was Ford bragging about how much better this truck was going to be over the Gen 1's and then NOT providing any information to back it up or prove it. Did this new Gen 2 do better than the Gen 1? We don't know because there wasn't a Gen 1 entered. Is the Gen 2 better at anything over the Gen 1? Again, we don't know because no one will tell us. Even the guys with the new Gen 2's won't tell anybody anything.

So, I am guardedly optimistic that if Ford keeps testing and running this truck in these races that it will be AS good as the Gen 1. Better? Remains to be seen. I know I am really interested to see some of the questions we all have answered. I hope we don't have to wait until the damn thing is actually released to get information. That is a mistake IMO. It's actually kind of amazing that Ford won't release any specs pertaining to actual horsepower and torque. It doesn't really make me want to run to the dealer and get on a list to purchase. I mean, WTF are we really getting?

So, if some are correct and Ford is looking in on us to see what we think:

Release some information already!!! We've all stirred up a nice pot of poop around here fighting amongst ourselves and you can sweeten the pot a little with answers to our questions!!! If you want to sell these trucks to guys around here, we need to know what we are buying!!! Hell, even Hollywood releases more teasers about their blockbusters than you have about these new Raptors!!! Let people at the auto shows get in it, pop the damn hood, crawl around under it!!!

Rant over..........

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

Modifications to the race truck include:
•Race-optimized three-inch-diameter external-bypass front and rear FOX Racing Shox similar to stock F-150 Raptor’s segment-exclusive, three-inch-diameter internal-bypass FOX Racing Shox
•Race-optimized front and rear springs raise ride height for additional ground clearance, and provide increased compression rate to handle extreme terrain and additional weight of competition-required roll cage
•Custom-fabricated roll cage
•MasterCraft seats with five-point harness safety belts and window nets
•Rigid LED light bars, racing fuel cell, Lowrance GPS, Racepak digital dash and data logger

So they put on deavers in the rear? Wonder what they used in the front?
Something that I think would be cool on the new raptor is if they offered a factory upgrade Offroad package that used Fox Racing "tuning" 3.0 shocks and HD/Progressive Leaf Springs. I think that would sell.

OP
OP
Trick.Raptor

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Ok, ok - I'll say it. I think that it is pretty cool that they did this race. Although none of the other manufacturers had anything that could compete (or finish) it is still a race. This is obviously a pretty grueling run looking at the amount of other vehicles that didn't make it. Ford needs to keep showing the public that this truck is capable of doing this type of thing. I guess we need to remember that on some of our Raptor runs, there are trucks that have mechanical issues. We all stop and help fix them. Then we all continue on. I experienced that myself this year at Snoball. Something small like a thermostat shut me down.

I agree and this is not a Gen2 bashing thread. Had Ford come out and bragged about being 1st maybe the response would have been different... who knows.

Running the Mint 400 is no easy task... I'm pretty sure most Raptor owners following the course will have a hard time keeping pace with the Foutz time. Where was the Reaper? The Dodge whatever? **** Pro?

Last edited:

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
To make it is an accomplishment, no doubt. I'm glad Ford isn't throwing up the 1st place plaque saying "we won!". I agree, there is no info other than what Ford's propaganda machine is spewing out about how much better it is. Ford should put their money where their mouth is and put a Gen 1 truck, equipped the same way as the Gen 2 and run 2 trucks in the next race. Prove to us that the Gen 2 can beat the Gen 1. I'll drive [emoji6][emoji12][emoji1303][emoji1591]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To make it is an accomplishment, no doubt. I'm glad Ford isn't throwing up the 1st place plaque saying "we won!". I agree, there is no info other than what Ford's propaganda machine is spewing out about how much better it is. Ford should put their money where their mouth is and put a Gen 1 truck, equipped the same way as the Gen 2 and run 2 trucks in the next race. Prove to us that the Gen 2 can beat the Gen 1. I'll drive [emoji6][emoji12][emoji1303][emoji1591]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

exactly

mike.s

Reaction score
I'm guessing they haven't announced the hp numbers yet because they aren't currently where they want to be. Maybe they're at 450 and they're trying to get to 500+. So they're tweaking the engine, tuning, and doing whatever they can to get there.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
they arnt saying anything becose they are just beating the current 411 number, <one that still take's out opponents (IWE) as why they are just wanting to beat the 411 and run it threw the race to see where it will hold together at.