Ford Emblem on Non-Applique Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plasti-dip works if you want to spend $8 instead of $100

X0VsbSS.jpg

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great Zane!

I will never have the patience to make anything will plastidip ever turn out nice :) You sir have it down

phirinc

Reaction score
There are alignment posts, clips and adhesive. It's not to hard to remove.

Line the area around it with masking tape to prevent damage to the paint
Heat the area to soften the adhesive
Pry up with a trim tool

Some have a backup camera on it. Is that where the camera is or is it on the latch? Mine was just built yesterday, I would love to have it ready when it gets here. I think yours looks extremely good.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some have a backup camera on it. Is that where the camera is or is it on the latch? Mine was just built yesterday, I would love to have it ready when it gets here. I think yours looks extremely good.

Thsnks. The camera is on the latch not the emblem on the Gen2.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
How do you go about masking the Ford script? Seems like that would be quite difficult

Apply chapstick to it, paint the whole thing let the rest dry and wipe off where you put chapstick. Done deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron.bumpus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how the emblem on the '17 is attached, but the '14 only had two posts with metal retainer clips, and you could remove it by getting a small screwdriver under and and pulling straight back.

My guess is the '17 has alignment posts and foam tape, as this was the case on the '16 Explorer. For that one, I used fishing line to "saw" through the tape, and since it had alignment posts, I had to saw with the line from all four directions.

pulled the panel from inside tailgate and popped it out that way.
much easier and those metal retainer clips are stronger than you think