Ford breaking system on Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have had the braking system alert me when I am coming up too fast on someone with the lights in the dash (reflect on windshield).

It does not brake for me though, it only warns me. I watched a video on YouTube that guys claims the truck is braking for him. Am I missing something here?? My truck would be inside the driver seat of the other car in front of me if I tested this. Do our trucks actually brake on their own. I know it will when using the cruise control but not during normal driving.

Last edited:

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When your vehicle rapidly approaches another vehicle, a red warning light flashes and a tone sounds.
The brake support system assists you in reducing any collision speed by pre-charging the brakes. If the risk of collision continues to increases after the audio-visual warning, the brake support prepares the brake system for rapid braking. The system does not automatically activate the brakes, but if the brake pedal is pressed even lightly, the brakes apply full stopping power

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup...sorry drinking white claws and posting. That was embarrassing how many times I spelled brake break.

haha its all good, i was confused reading it, i thought you where saying Ford was breaking your truck like from some remote location lol

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's dependent upon what video you were watching. If it were a F150 demonstrating adaptive cruise control yes the vehicle will brake accordingly but will not be able to bring the truck to a full stop. 2018 non Raptor F150's will get full adaptive cruise control which can bring the vehicle to a stop in normal operating conditions. But this doesn't mean it will bring the truck to a full stop in emergencies from highway speeds.

For an imminent collision/panic stop, the system is advertised as collision avoidance. It will give you a visual alert, apply slight braking, and get the brakes charged for emergency braking. 2018's will get pedestrian/collision mitigation. But that doesn't mean that you can go 60mph and the vehicle will bring itself to a complete stop before any accident. My previous vehicle was a 2016 Volvo where it had pedestrian detection, left turn collision avoidance, and City Safety and was able to stop the vehicle before impact up to 30mph.

The problem with all of these systems is that they can have false readings. Imagine when the collision avoidance goes off and the vehicle emergency brakes even though there is plenty of room. I had this happen on my Volvo and almost caused an accident. It can have false readings when approaching vehicles or when you know you will be going around the vehicle in front.

Last edited:

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the video that is being talked about by the Op

Not sure why the truck is breaking, but according to the guy in the video the truck is doing the breaking.

I had the same question myself after seeing this video.

Watch "2017 Ford Raptor Dynamic Support Braking System" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/NXSHAsE9kRQ

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had the alert come on several times, but it has never braked for me. It gives false alarms when someone is turning right and I don't slow down because I know the car will be out of the way by the time I reach the intersection. But maybe I've never reached a "stage 2 alert" where it detects an imminent collision.

OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My jeep srt would brake and had saved my life a few times on the highway when being cut off and they slammed brakes.

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, in the 2017 Raptor system, I wouldn't want it to brake for me..too many false positives where it sees a shadow across the road as an object. On known routes, there are several spots on my commute where the collision alert regularly activates when there are no traffic/vehicles.

One bonus I found was at night when a car pulled over after the red collision alert went off. Maybe it was coincidence but I thought it was kinda funny as I passed by the slow ass bastard.