Fog and Driving Lights Installed - Simple mod which great results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done installing driving lights behind the bumper behind the opening on the sides in front of the tires. Also installed fog lights on the inside of the bumper pads. I used switch one for the fog lights and switch 2 for the driving lights. I still need to adjust the passenger side driving light. The driving lights really throw some light down range while the fog lights have the right tint to them for driving in fog.

Clicking the image will take you to the slideshow of all the pictures

Here are some of the pics if you don't want to go to the slideshow.

SDC10300.jpg

SDC10303.jpg

SDC10305.jpg

SDC10306.jpg

SDC10309.jpg

SDC10310.jpg

SDC10311.jpg

SDC10312.jpg

SDC10313.jpg

SDC10315.jpg

The offroad driving lights I got from Harbor Freight tools for close to $20-$25. The fog lights cost about the same and I got those from Advance Auto Parts (I have to find the box but they were either Pilot or navigator lights, I think).

I have one other switch wired directly to the radar detector. The 4th I have no plans for right now.

I know some people are going to make a comment about the cheapnest of the lights and how long they'll hold up. They'll hold up until I have to replace them (broad, huh?). By then I'll know if I like the mounting locations or not and whether or not I need to drop big bucks on the lights. I am currently shocked by the performance of both sets of lights.

OP
OP
H

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video of Lights

Sorry for the poor quality. The video still doesn't capture the benefit these lights add.

First video is a passenger view. Notice the additional light thrown on the post and the shadow behind. The fog lights made a difference to the peripherals on the standard light pattern but wasn't captured well with this video.

YouTube - Fog Lights Driving Lights Ford Raptor.wmv

Second video is a view from the front, what you would see if you drove into my lane. I better not get in an accident at night and hear the other driver say "I just didn't see him"

YouTube - Fog and Driving Lights External Ford Raptor.wmv

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good man. In the "what they look like while driving" it reminded me of a rig. That's a lot of light. And if the cheap ones work cool, just keep us posted how it all works out.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, clean look Harley Guy. Really saves the "look" of the front of the Raptor yet adds plenty of light.

bradyh20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with FSM06. I'm not a huge fan of the bull-bar type lighting rigs on the raptors. It might be cool to see a video from the cab. Show us how much light you're getting with and without the headlights on maybe?

Nice handywork. How long did it take you to install it yourself? Anything worth sharing?

OP
OP
H

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be cool to see a video from the cab. Show us how much light you're getting with and without the headlights on maybe?

Nice handywork. How long did it take you to install it yourself? Anything worth sharing?

The first video posted is from the cab view. I actually laid the camera on top of the roof by the moon roof. It didn't take long at all to install, the thing that take the longest time is running the wires and connecting them inside. I don't have a clear amount of time though because I mock mounted them, tested them, unmounted them, ran wires, re mounted, finished wires, adjusted - maybe 1-2 hours max.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great work, pics and vids, Harley Guy! Thanks for sharing your installation with us.

I've been talking about putting headlights into the two bumper openings (where you put your driving lights) ever since I got my Raptor in November. What I'm most interested in is how you mounted the lights.

Questions:

1. Would you be willing to take some pics of how you installed them - both the driving lights and the fog lights - so we can see?
2. What size (outer diameter) lights did you use for the driving lights and for the fog lights?

I have a plan for the lights but I am still unsure about what the best way to install them and the best hardware to use. Durability is the key issue as offroading will quickly hammer the lights into submission if they're not installed correctly.

OP
OP
H

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions:

1. Would you be willing to take some pics of how you installed them - both the driving lights and the fog lights - so we can see?
2. What size (outer diameter) lights did you use for the driving lights and for the fog lights?

1. I'll try to remember to take some pics this week. But if you get under the truck there is a part of the frame that ends right behind the openings. Both sides have holes on the underside. I just mounted through those holes so I didn't have to drill anything. With the lights I used they were in the perfect spot. I grounded the lights to the same piece, there are a couple of smaller holes at the very end (just used a dremel to grind it out a bit for a better ground).

For the fog lights in the middle I mounted them to the grill between the bumperetts. I just used big washer on the back side to keep the nut from coming through.

2. The lights I used behind the bumper openings are 7-3/8" W x 6-3/8" H x 3-3/4" D. I got them from Harbor Freight tools. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3029 The inner fog lights I got from autozone or advance auto parts. I'm not a big fan of them and will probably be replacing them so I won't be recommending them.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much for posting the info on how you installed the lights. If you can take pics and post them I'd like to see them and I'm sure others will too. Thanks again!