Fire Extinguisher

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I couldn't find a nice mounting spot under the front, that let me have the seat back far enough for me, at 6'3", and still be able to run the seat forward for someone smaller. I ended up putting it on the driver's side under the rear.

???
I used this:

mounts horizontally using the 2 front seat bracket bolts. it’s completely unobtrusive. The only issue I’ve had is that it LOOKS uncomfortably close to binding as the front seat moves forward... A LOT so that my wife can drive. But It’s never actually bound the seat or hit anything as far as I can tell.

It’s secure but access is darn quick.

FWIW, I have this with some kind of extinguisher (I’d have to look) and an element.
Don’t you guys remember the first time you got a backfire through the carb ?
I had this buddy who was a ... ‘mopar enthusiast’. he had this old Duster, remember those? 318 with a bunch of bolt ons, which he completely deluded himself into thinking he would get a 13 second quarter mile out of... Anyway, along the journey, while messing with this carb he pulled off a junker 360 he produced a HUGE backfire through the carb which immediately caught fire. It was slightly more than a wee fire.

meaning the engine bay was covered with fuel, which was now all combusting. we stupidly tried a towel which promptly caught fire before we both looked at each other and agreed without a word that a fire extinguisher was the right choice.

It was a God awful mess, but got the flames out.

or that time when your buddy fell asleep after a few too many beers while smoking a cigarette?
I don’t remember what we did to put his passenger seat out. I do remember he was pretty ticked off until he sobered up.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went with the element. If it doesn’t work, I figure that the truck is totaled anyway. Insurance company will have a hard time arguing that the puddle of aluminum is repairable.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
???
I used this:

mounts horizontally using the 2 front seat bracket bolts. it’s completely unobtrusive. The only issue I’ve had is that it LOOKS uncomfortably close to binding as the front seat moves forward... A LOT so that my wife can drive. But It’s never actually bound the seat or hit anything as far as I can tell.

It’s secure but access is darn quick.

FWIW, I have this with some kind of extinguisher (I’d have to look) and an element.
Don’t you guys remember the first time you got a backfire through the carb ?
I had this buddy who was a ... ‘mopar enthusiast’. he had this old Duster, remember those? 318 with a bunch of bolt ons, which he completely deluded himself into thinking he would get a 13 second quarter mile out of... Anyway, along the journey, while messing with this carb he pulled off a junker 360 he produced a HUGE backfire through the carb which immediately caught fire. It was slightly more than a wee fire.

meaning the engine bay was covered with fuel, which was now all combusting. we stupidly tried a towel which promptly caught fire before we both looked at each other and agreed without a word that a fire extinguisher was the right choice.

It was a God awful mess, but got the flames out.

or that time when your buddy fell asleep after a few too many beers while smoking a cigarette?
I don’t remember what we did to put his passenger seat out. I do remember he was pretty ticked off until he sobered up.
What a giant co-inky-dinky!! My first car fire, 18 years old, '65 Plymouth Fury with the 318. I was at the bank, when I started it to leave I heard a bit of an odd pop and then smoke pouring out. I ran into the bank and grabbed their extinguisher, scared the crap out of the bank personal because they thought I had run in to rob the place, good times. Turned out a carb float issue and base gasket leak combo had pissed fuel all over the top of the very hot manifold. The dry chem grit in your teeth is always a nice finishing touch after a fire. :party36:

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I ran into the bank and grabbed their extinguisher, scared the crap out of the bank personal because they thought I had run in to rob the place,
as my wife and I are rolling in to Dublin on our rental bike, she directs me to a bank to get money from an ATM. By directs, she slaps me in the helmet. So she dismounts, walks on in. Full suit, helmet & purse. shouts from under the helmet “I need Euros, I’ll be right back"

To the rather extreme dismay of the bank guards, who think she’s IRA. My first thought was to deadpan princess Leia : “aren’t you a little short for an IRA bank robber?” but I kept my tongue.

Apparently she got a right good scolding from the bank staff for scaring the living pööp out of them.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
What a giant co-inky-dinky!! My first car fire, 18 years old, '65 Plymouth Fury with the 318. I was at the bank, when I started it to leave I heard a bit of an odd pop and then smoke pouring out. I ran into the bank and grabbed their extinguisher, scared the crap out of the bank personal because they thought I had run in to rob the place, good times. Turned out a carb float issue and base gasket leak combo had pissed fuel all over the top of the very hot manifold. The dry chem grit in your teeth is always a nice finishing touch after a fire. :party36:
Same story, only a Target store.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Blew a hole in my block on the big turbo GTI i had on the PA turnpike, oil started a small fire that i put out with snow. So thats always an option.

I should have let it burn to the ground.