Finally took delivery / 1st impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Scubasigguy

Scubasigguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a platinum, and while it could be metal, it has to be the thinnest, cheapest metal out there - it doesn't "finger thump" any differently than the plastic trim to me

It bothers me that the door trim stays rough plastic even when the other pieces are brushed whatever

Interesting. I just traded a platinum and I have a brand new 250 platinum that I picked up the same day as my Raptor. Both have metal for sure. I actually put a small ding in the trim by the shifter, but even so mine didn't seem that thin. Maybe there is more than one vendor supplying the trim. I'm with you on the doors.

The gen 2 plastic trim has a slight texture to it, while my 14 was smooth. I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Mr Roarke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To use the paddle shifters correctly you just put the shifter in M (manual mode) be ready to hit the right paddle because it doesn't take long to get to redline in first

akaie15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your thoughts and comparisons between the Gen 1 and 2.

Just FYI the paddles control the tranny in sport mode. In regular drive they do what's called range limiting. So when you hit the left paddle ( - ) it drops 10th then hit again it drops 9th and so on. The tranny will then only use the gears showing.

Really? My paddles only range limit in sport mode on mine... any one else?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some thougthts on your thoughts:

Seems like the paddles are just a fancier version of the +/- button on the Gen 1 shifter...

Never heard anyone complain about the interior trim before on the 13th Gen trucks.

You can't make that V6 sound good, or Ford would have done it- so you might as well make it as quiet as possible.

Ford, please, make the Raptor great again. Bring back a big N/A V8!

sea2jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:supergay:

Some thougthts on your thoughts:

Seems like the paddles are just a fancier version of the +/- button on the Gen 1 shifter...

Never heard anyone complain about the interior trim before on the 13th Gen trucks.

You can't make that V6 sound good, or Ford would have done it- so you might as well make it as quiet as possible.

Ford, please, make the Raptor great again. Bring back a big N/A V8!

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Instead of what exactly? Yeah, that is pretty much their function. Shift up and down. Duh.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to work on your reading comprehension.

Let's review

OP questioned why the paddle shifters didn't actually change the gears.

Replies explained that it works just like the Gen 1 - manual mode etc.

I mentioned that the paddles are just a more complicated version of a simple rocker switch on the Gen 1.

You reply "instead of what? " Huh? Then add "Duh"? Jesus. Don't get so butt hurt over the V6 comment.

Trooper177

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission will hopefully get better after the computer "learns" my driving patterns / style. It seems to hold the gear too long sometimes, and hunt around too much other times. I must be missing something with the paddles, and I admittedly haven't read the manual yet, but the left paddle would not downshift, it would only eliminate gears 1 at a time.

Congrats on your new ride! I may be able to offer some insight which may or may not apply to the Raptor about the tranny. I drive a '14 Ford Police Interceptor daily. The computer in those holds lower gears longer when you are driving "aggressively" to give more power or something like that. (I am not a gear head) Also when you brake hard the engine downshifts to use engine braking to assist. It holds this "aggressive mode" for about 10-30secs and then if you are driving "normally" it reverts back to normal. When they first came out we were often freaked out thinking the tranny was broken and brought several back to the dealer!! Until we were edumacated. These cruisers also use ecoboost engines. Hopefully this was useful. If you ever drove a crown vic these 2 are night and day for the better... but this is a truck forum dammit!! :)