exhaust exit moved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sgt Soynut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the exhaust tips damaged a bit and thought it needed to be routed a bit different. I already had flowmaster super 44 with dual exits. I cut the muffler out and moved it forward about 8 inches and routed the tip out next to the running board. Had to make a y pipe and went to single tip. The sound changed a bit and there is much less restriction with losing all those bends around the axel. After I get the headers installed im sure I will change it all again.. just thought i would share. In hotel parking lot and its a bit dark so sorry for bad pics.
Jer

Attachments

• tail pipe 022.jpg
    tail pipe 022.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 132
  • tail pipe 023.jpg
    tail pipe 023.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 124
  • tail pipe 021.jpg
    tail pipe 021.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 78

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, that's the place Ford/SVT should have put the exhaust tips from the get go.

Before I hacked my stock tips (and muffler) off, they got pretty dented up from rock spray off the rear tires.

peppercorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to F150's, coming from Superdutys, but seem to remember Ford put the exhaust exit there some years back. I have definately noticed my tips are deteriorating rapidly.

kglesq

Droid's Brother
Reaction score
I am new to F150's, coming from Superdutys, but seem to remember Ford put the exhaust exit there some years back. I have definately noticed my tips are deteriorating rapidly.

Correct, when the restyle came out in 1997 they had the exhaust mounted in front of the wheel. They moved it back to behind the rear tire in subsequent years though, and in fact there was a TSB wherein Ford would replace the exhaust system with one that exited behind the wheel. The problem was that the exhaust was discoloring the right rear wheel, so they would replace that too.

So keep an eye on that if you move your exhaust to exit in front of the wheel.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, when the restyle came out in 1997 they had the exhaust mounted in front of the wheel. They moved it back to behind the rear tire in subsequent years though, and in fact there was a TSB wherein Ford would replace the exhaust system with one that exited behind the wheel. The problem was that the exhaust was discoloring the right rear wheel, so they would replace that too.

So keep an eye on that if you move your exhaust to exit in front of the wheel.

Ford did side exhaust on the Lightning, from 99-04.

randy

311-2004-10.jpg

312-2004-21.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sgt Soynut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will get some pics from under the truck in the morning. I figured this was short term as the headers will be next.. but then mabey 2 tips exiting there with true dual exhaust might work. Also i do think that it will discolor the wheel over time if not washed often. Of topic a bit the 5 star tune with AFE intake made a huge difference in low end power. seem to be getting about 17.5 to 18.5 on the freeway @ 60 mph. I had reported 20.4 but cant seem to match that one again.
jer

OP
OP
S

Sgt Soynut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
under truck exhaust pic

here what she looks like from the under side. Dirt and all

Attachments

• ford under 003.jpg
    ford under 003.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 118
  • ford under 002.jpg
    ford under 002.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 113

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
here what she looks like from the under side. Dirt and all

Lol - that ain't dirty!
Nice work, and I agree - in front of the tire is where Ford should have put it and thats exactly where I will put mine when I redo the exhaust. I've typically spit one pipe out each side in my other trucks, but they kinda mounted the gas tank too low to do that with the Raptor.