Everything you never wanted to know about VHF/UHF antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Crampton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Questions for you radio guys, I'll be mounting 2 NMO antennas on the roof of the truck. I have only ever run one antenna on any truck I've used. So my questions are, one NMO is for the VHF radio and the other is for the Cellular Booster. I'll be placing the VHF NMO as centered as possible in the roof and not sure how far the Cell NMO needs to be positioned away from the VHF. I've read 18" between in most situations, can I locate closer to ease install? From what I understand, if the frequencies bands are far apart(150.***-160.*** for VHF and 800-1900 Cell) then the antennas can be closer together?

Also can you guys give me an idea of where any roof supports/bracing may be located(to avoid drilling into one). BTW my Raptor does not have a sunroof.
Can I assume to mount VHF near the dome light and the Cell behind without colliding with bracing issues?

Thanks!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@All The Way @Kanakry @Kmandoske

I have a question about mounting a dual band antenna to a fiberglass camper shell.
Will it work since it is not metal? I thought the cable needed to be grounded?

If it did work, how effective will the antenna be? I understand that I need a no ground plane antenna for longer distances. But I'll mostly be using it in small caravan when traveling with others.

Just trying to figure out where to drill the hole for the antenna.... thanks.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Drive your raptor here!!!!
www.runraptorrun.com
( * Y * )

Post a pic ofyour Raptor here:
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=49261&share_fid=17668&share_type=t
Calendar contest August 17
♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤

Vote for a pic here: vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=1010757

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe, you will be fine drilling into the fiberglass, you may want to but a NMO mount that is longer than the one normally needed for the thin sheet metal of a roof or trunk, You will of course need a No ground plane VHF antenna. They make mounts with more thread and also check and make sure you get as long a cable as you can. 17' I think is the longest stock ones.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What Keith said, plus I'd consider some metal reinforcements for the nmo base as the fibreglass will be quite brittle around the hole. If you go this route you will want a ground strap to the plate