EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
popcorn%20bucketsCOB.jpg

Can I get one of those from you?? I ran out 2 pages ago.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are truly an idiot. The 5.0 and 6.2 are BRAND NEW CLEAN SHEET MOTORS. The 5.0 and 6.2 are completely unrelated to the mod motors.

Sorry, but you'll have to do better than just calling me an idiot and claiming you're right and I'm wrong with no data to back it up.

Direct from 5.0 Mustangs and Superfords interviewing the engineers of the Coyote Engine......

While the Hurricane and Boss were explored initially-eventually a 6.2-liter SOHC Two-Valve version of that program ended up in the SVT Raptor and soon other F-150s-those large engines proved unsuitable for the Mustang. With time running short, Ford regrouped at the familiar modular engine family with plans for an all-new modular development specifically for the Mustang.
Few hard points were fixed at the Coyote's conception, but a handful were quickly set. The new engine's point of departure was the existing 4.6 modular architecture.
Due to Ford's tremendous investment in V-8 manufacturing capacity, the new engine would take that form.
Wide, thick, straight pan rails set the Coyote's lower block width, a dimension kept from the 4.6 to save big money on the machining line.
Both main and rod journal dimensions are carryover from the 4.6; wider journals were not needed and would have increased drag.
Pin oiling is via the oil ring groove. The 22mm pin diameter is the same as the 4.6, but the pin length is increased for greater rod/piston assembly strength.
The manual applications get a dual-mass flywheel to dampen a driveline rattle and use a higher-torque rated version of the 280mm clutch from the Three-Valve 4.6
Because a major mandate of the Coyote program was utilizing Ford's existing V-8 mass-production capabilities, and because 5.0 liters was considered the appropriate displacement, the jumping-off point for the Coyote was the closest existing engine, the Three-Valve 4.6 V-8
There was no requirement to save anything of the 4.6 in the Coyote other than it must be suitable for production on the same machinery. As primary goals were the Coyote be stronger, more compact and powerful than the 4.6, it was a given that almost nothing from the 4.6 would carry over to the Four-Valve 5.0 TiVCT. Essentially nothing did, except the 4.6 bore spacing and its inherent limit on bore diameter.

^Which as I've said, I'm not denying that the 5.0 or 6.2 have tons of new technology and upgraded/improved/new parts in them, but it was born from the 4.6 as it's starting point, kept the same OHC architecture, evolved from there as a new platform, and didn't go back to pushrod or some other configuration, and is still a modular as the whole definition of modular relates to the manufacturing process.

In fact, bore spacing is likely the defining characteristic of the modular engines. They got the name "modular" because they were conceived in the '80s as a family of engines the assembly plant would sense as nearly identical and thereby allow rapid flexibility in their production.
Given all that, the new 5.0 was going to have a 100mm bore spacing and claim its place as the newest member of the modular family even though in nearly all other respects it is an all-new engine.
The Coyote team elected to retain the 4.6's deck height, and a 92.8mm (3.653-inch) stroke was selected to reach 5.0 liters.
Existing 4.6 bearing sizes proved bulletproof and the Coyote crankshaft shares journal sizes with the 4.6 crank. In fact, the aluminum bearing shells are direct carryovers from the 4.6
It's worth noting that while the Coyote rod shares its big- and small-end diameters plus its center-to-center length with the 4.6 rod, the Coyote rod has been redesigned to more evenly distribute bearing loads and is definitely an improved piece
the Coyote short-block is a comprehensive re-think and re-engineering of the modular V-8 and is clearly poised as the all-new performance Ford engine foundation for years to come.
Like all modulars, the Coyote uses exhaust manifold studs, not bolts. Enlarged to 10mm from 8mm on the 4.6, the Coyote studs are larger to resist shear loads from shrinking headers

Huh, sure sounds like the 5.0 is the latest new engine to the Ford Modular Motor Family to me :ROFLJest: Yes every last part of it has been evaluated and majority of it reengineered, but the platform they started from was the 4.6, it shares the same OHC architecture as the base point, then went off from there into what it is.

The 6.2 I go back to my original statement, it's a bit of the odd ball out of the lineup as it changes the bore spacing and isn't an exact member of this 100mm bore spacing mod motor family, but it still employs the same OHC architecture.

But go ahead, reply back and call me an idiot again with nothing to back yourself up :crazy: I really don't mind :waytogo:

haha where do you think my screen name and avatar came from? Rugrats was an awesome cartoon! :ROFLJest: