Dumba$$ installed my shocks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't install them myself! LOL

Ok folks, the good news is that my new wheels w/OMF drain-style rings, tires, shocks and springs are on, and the truck looks freaking awesome. I'll post pics after I wash it. Bad news is that I had to go through some BULL$HIZ in the process! Here's what happened:

• ordered new Method wheels/OMF drain-style rings/KM3 tires, had them balanced
• ordered some rebuilt shocks
• ordered some Geiser springs
• ordered some cool SVT flush center caps
• ordered camber bolt kits for alignment

Checked pressure in all shocks, and they were at 210.

Took it all to the local alignment shop that EVERYONE uses. I have also used them for years for all my cars, and they do a great job with everything, including complete suspension rebuilds—usually. Got the call to come get the truck in the afternoon, and the shop owner greets me with, "we have a little problem."

He jumps up and down on the rear bumper, and the truck just goes "squish, squish, squish" like the shocks have no pressure. I was like WTF, and he just threw his arms up and said "I have no idea man," but someone built you some junk. Drove it 30 miles home, and literally was like I just had leafs back there. One of the schrader caps almost fel off it was so loose. Checked pressure—NONE. So, I hooked up my air compressor, and put 120 in them, and they hold pressure fine. I'm on my way to a local off-road shop to purge them and fill with nitrogen to proper pressure.

I'm thinking whoever did this thought he would make his job easier by letting the pressure out so he could compress the piston. Why? I have no idea, but it's just super annoying an I needed to rant. It also ****** me off, because the shock builder is really awesome, and I almost blamed him. He knows what's going on and is just baffled like me as to why the hell someone would do that.

I left my Yeti water bottle over there, so I'm going back for it. Any suggestions????!!!

Thanks for listening to the rant!
--Sean

D

Deleted member 12951

Probably one of his techs did it and didn’t fess up to the owner what he did. Owner probably has no idea.

What size wheels did you go with?

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably one of his techs did it and didn’t fess up to the owner what he did. Owner probably has no idea.

What size wheels did you go with?

That's exactly what happened. I went back there and talked to the owner. He called the tech out and asked him if he let the air out, and he said "not that I recall." Anyway, he mentioned he used a pry bar to get them in, and that was all I needed to hear. You have to hang the suspension completely on these to get them in, and he took the easy way out. Whatever, life goes on.

I went with 17s and 35" tires. Clearanced the fender beads for 37s, but too many guys I know have had a variety of minor issues with the larger tires on Methods because of the offset. I know one guy who has even had some minor contact with Toyo 35s which run a tad bigger than the KM3s. So I played it safe. Looks really good though, IMO. I'll get some pics up.