GEN 1 Driver door blend actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinman44

Reaction score
Blend door actuator /drivers side

So I did my research and decided I would be able to replace the lower driver side door blend actuator on my own. I got the seats out, center console removed, dash hanging from the roof. To this point no issues with ford equipment what-so-ever, viper install however was beginner level in my opinion...now I realize there is no way to replace this part without pulling the air handler from the firewall at all. I get the truck on a flatbed and delivered to my local dealership. After a discussion with the mechanic that was going to do the work I was satisfied he had done this many many times and had no concerns going forward.

I pick the truck up and everything appears fine, except there's a weird part on the floorboard of my truck and my rear defrost doesn't appear to be working. Third day my instruments blinked for about 2 seconds as if someone turned off the truck, however the engine didn't shut down, the air remained on, and my music continued to play. A few days later the same thing happened. A few days after this I was accelerating when this happened however the entire truck shut off and I had to put it in neutral to restart the truck.

I take the truck back to the dealership and explain the issues with the instrument panel shutting down, the weird part floating in my floorboard, and the rear defrost not working. When I pick the truck up they explain that the part doesn't go to my vehicle(so how did it get there), the rear defrost won't work with the back window slightly askew(I didn't open it and I used the rear defrost before I took it to them) and they could not get the dash to shut down.

On my way home I find a new part in my cup holder and the dash blinks out again. The part is a piece that keeps you from starting your engine without being in park and/or applying the brake 300$ assembly that apparently they assume I broke dismantling the vehicle even though the part only appeared after they had it the second time. I guess I will or will not replace that myself because they aren't going to and I don't want a new part to appear during that part replacement.

The dash powering down is basically a new issue that in my opinion could compare to chasing ghosts. I assume there is a pinched/loose ground or hot wire but that is going to have me pulling the dash again.

I'm mostly venting here about this stupid 37$ box of plastic that is such a monumental task to replace...pulling the air handler off the fire wall...really? All of this said I'm not sure what to do moving forward. This dealership isn't a chain that may have a better mechanic at another location and I don't know just how willing I am at this point to go drop 1 or 2 k for an issue they may never correct. I don't necessarily believe that my mechanic is an apprentice or an idiot, however he nor the dealership appeared interested in fixing my issue. They put 30miles on the truck, found parts on the floor, and told me to come pick it up.

Last edited: