"Downgrading" from 37's to 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrLiou168

Reaction score
Hey All,

So I've lived with my 37PP for a few weeks now (sure the 37's look nice) but I find myself liking the feel of the 35's on my gen 2 better. The truck is more responsive, there is less unspring mass, MPGs are better, truck feels snappier, etc.

If I were to opt to replace my 37PP OEM tires with those from the 35" package, has anyone done this? Do I need to recalibrate the speedometer? How about the dampers? Assuming they are specifically calibrated to the 37" tires.

MrTorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I've lived with my 37PP for a few weeks now (sure the 37's look nice) but I find myself liking the feel of the 35's on my gen 2 better. The truck is more responsive, there is less unspring mass, MPGs are better, truck feels snappier, etc.

If I were to opt to replace my 37PP OEM tires with those from the 35" package, has anyone done this? Do I need to recalibrate the speedometer? How about the dampers? Assuming they are specifically calibrated to the 37" tires.
I havent received my truck yet but i already have lighter wheels arriving today. That should make the 37 tire wheel and combo lighter than a 35 package as the 37" tires are only 3 or 4 lbs heavier than 35". Maybe try that so the truck and speedo still function as inteded.

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys should know that the 37” BFG’s on the Gen 3 Raptors are actually lighter than the 35’s.

Not sure about the complete wheel/tire package, but I can’t imagine the 37’s setup being much heavier, if at all.

You’ll also be giving up ground clearance and will have reduced suspension travel (purpose built into the 37” trucks) compared to a factory 35” truck.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys should know that the 37” BFG’s on the Gen 3 Raptors are actually lighter than the 35’s.
Where did you see that the 37” is less weight than a 35”?
Not sure about the complete wheel/tire package, but I can’t imagine the 37’s setup being much heavier, if at all.

You’ll also be giving up ground clearance and will have reduced suspension travel (purpose built into the 37” trucks) compared to a factory 35” truck.
How would you lose travel by going to a 2.1” smaller diameter tire?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score

BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - 37X12.50R17/C 116S RBL

Overall Diameter = 36.5

Tire Weight = 64.84

------------------------------------------------

BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - LT315/70R17/C 113T RBL

Overall Diameter = 34.4
Tire Weight = 63.67

OP
OP
M

MrLiou168

Reaction score
Interesting feedback! And yes - certainly first world problems. Turns out Ox3721 is right if you look at the specs at Tire Rack. The 37's weigh 63 lbs and the 35's weigh 65 lbs.

OK... she's staying as-is. Appreciate the feedback!

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting feedback! And yes - certainly first world problems. Turns out Ox3721 is right if you look at the specs at Tire Rack. The 37's weigh 63 lbs and the 35's weigh 65 lbs.

OK... she's staying as-is. Appreciate the feedback!
Nice. The BFG website states otherwise.

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you see that the 37” is less weight than a 35”?

How would you lose travel by going to a 2.1” smaller diameter tire?
What I meant was you will be giving up the ground clearance advantage that the 37” setup has. Not “losing” travel, per se.

So, in essence, you would have the reduced ground clearance with the 35’s and reduced travel of the 37 truck chassis. Essentially the “worst” of both worlds for lack of a better phrase.

As for the tires, I remember seeing a few posts on here and elsewhere, where people have confirmed the 37” LRC are in fact lighter.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The regular 37x12.50s on the BFG website are different than the load C ones built specifically for the Raptor.