Cutting tie rod to get correct toe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Ok update.

good news: got to the shop before they broke out the grinder. Explained to them that there are a lot of other adjustments and I can take the truck and do those myself. Because they didn’t do any of the services got out with no charge.

the bad: turns out the tech didn’t loosen the rack side lock nut. Then cranked on the tie rod so hard that he actually started unscrewing the Clevis from the rack. That’s A LOT or torquing.

just ordered the RPG lca mount doubler/trippler and will order the locking cams too.
Yep, I knew that was exactly what the tech did. Seen it happen.

We sell the locking CAM’s. There are two, you want the HD one. It is actually torque to 198 not 258

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a couple of posts from guys in Florida recommending shops.

I found one but there are more. "California Customs in Dania Beach"

I don't know where in Florida you are but here's a thread you could post in:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/south-florida-raptors.30749/
awesome thanks for the references. Im going to try my own hand at it before i take it to another shop.

Also the truck is going to go back in my workshop for a while as i took your advice and ordered KHC slot delete. So now just gonna wait for that to get it in.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I knew that was exactly what the tech did. Seen it happen.

We sell the locking CAM’s. There are two, you want the HD one. It is actually torque to 198 not 258

Thank you for your quick reply and extremely helpful advice through this. Going to go with the recommendation of the Krazy House slot delete. Thinking might as well take advantage of those shiny ICON uca's. may the alignment battle come again another day!! haha

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your LCA is set all the way back to the center of the truck and the UCA was adjusted for that.
This means your whole wheel is a good 1/2" to 1" in too far, making the tie-rod too long.

You have to move the whole LCA out first and then adjust the upper.
I would highly recommend a slot delete kit for the LCA!!!
You should have done that when you swapped to the adjustable UCA anyway.

Nice catch[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro