custom tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tqwrench

Reaction score
looking to put custom tune on my 2010 5.4 would like some feed back on pros and cons of installing headers and pipes verses just catback pipes.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The biggest change you'll notice is sound. I'm not sure if you'll feel the difference in power but there will be an increase. You'll feel it more with the tune.

Honestly depends on your budget. If you can afford the whole setup then go for it. If you're looking for a little more get up and some better sound go with the tune and a factory connect exhaust.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Moved to 5.4 Performance forum. This topic is pretty well covered, take a look around at what has been posted.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I went with the 5 star tune. I run around on the 93 octace performance tune. Love it! But i've heard "the tune" by SVC is better. Go to their site on the right side and check it out --->

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will gain hp from the header and pipes for sure, add a cai and custom tune, and your about at your max if you want to stay NA. The sound will change considerably; louder and lower. In a good way. But if you go with a quality set-up like kooks, or stainless works, your looking at close to 4k just for the exhaust. Tune and CAI will be $600-800. If you go a cheaper set up you are still looking close to 4k for the whole setup. You can expect to get 45-70 hp, a louder meaner sound, and better throttle response, shift points, etc, on 93 octane. The truck will be faster and sound better no question. I did all of it. I was quite pleased, but then it got me hankerin for more. So I supercharged. If it is in the budget, go for it, but there are a lot other mods you can do for 4-5k. A whole lot. IMO it was worth it. But my budget was large. Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

To answer your second question: The headers do add quite a bit, much more than the pipe or cats. They are the major hp gain in the exhaust set up.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Sorry, just want to be accurate. If you do the work yourself you can save quite a bit. All my numbers were with someone else doing all the labor.