Created Custom Wiring Harness for Upfitter Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by some others I saw in this forum, I created this custom harness to make it simple and easy to add accessories to the upfitter switches.

The right side harness is the truck side. I will solder the 6 remaining wires to the 6 upfitter wires in the engine compartment. The long wire to the ring terminal goes to a 3/8" post that is a body ground on the top of the firewall near the access to the upfitter wires. This grounds all the ground wires on the 12-pin Deutsch connector. It's extended exactly 20 inches beyond the other wires to accommodate the extra length from the upfitter wires to the ground post (along a neatly hidden path that I measured with a spare piece of wire).

The left side harness is the accessory side. Any accessory I buy, I will solder a male 2-pin Deutsch connector onto it and plug it into the upfitter connection of my choice. In this way I can also easily change which upfitter has each accessory. It's as easy as taking the accessory's plug off the Aux 1 connection and plugging it back into the Aux 2 connection. For ease of future use, I put wire labels on each connector showing the Aux switch it corresponds to and its amp rating.

I also have a plan for the pass-through wires. I'll cover that when I get there.

I completely get that this level of wiring is unnecessary. I get that you can have the exact same result by butt splicing directly onto your upfitter wires. That's not why I did this. I enjoy creating custom wiring harnesses that could pass for factory equipment. It's a cathartic hobby for me.

IMG-0172.JPG

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, nice work.

Hey, I'm sure you know what you are doing, and I certainly can't speak to this, but I read in another thread the other day that soldering isn't a good idea due to vibration, and that crimping is the preferred method for automotive applications.

but anyway, nice looking harness.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, nice work.

Hey, I'm sure you know what you are doing, and I certainly can't speak to this, but I read in another thread the other day that soldering isn't a good idea due to vibration, and that crimping is the preferred method for automotive applications.

but anyway, nice looking harness.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I will research that before I start soldering to the upfitter wires.

EastEndAngler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by some others I saw in this forum, I created this custom harness to make it simple and easy to add accessories to the upfitter switches.

The right side harness is the truck side. I will solder the 6 remaining wires to the 6 upfitter wires in the engine compartment. The long wire to the ring terminal goes to a 3/8" post that is a body ground on the top of the firewall near the access to the upfitter wires. This grounds all the ground wires on the 12-pin Deutsch connector. It's extended exactly 20 inches beyond the other wires to accommodate the extra length from the upfitter wires to the ground post (along a neatly hidden path that I measured with a spare piece of wire).

The left side harness is the accessory side. Any accessory I buy, I will solder a male 2-pin Deutsch connector onto it and plug it into the upfitter connection of my choice. In this way I can also easily change which upfitter has each accessory. It's as easy as taking the accessory's plug off the Aux 1 connection and plugging it back into the Aux 2 connection. For ease of future use, I put wire labels on each connector showing the Aux switch it corresponds to and its amp rating.

I also have a plan for the pass-through wires. I'll cover that when I get there.

I completely get that this level of wiring is unnecessary. I get that you can have the exact same result by butt splicing directly onto your upfitter wires. That's not why I did this. I enjoy creating custom wiring harnesses that could pass for factory equipment. It's a cathartic hobby for me.

View attachment 146328

This turned out great! I wish had the tech-flex around to really dress mine up.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This turned out great! I wish had the tech-flex around to really dress mine up.

Thanks. I like to keep a lot of components on hand for custom projects like this. Tech flex in two difference sizes, 2-pin waterproof connectors, heat shrink tubing, etc. I've got to where I put Tech flex over just about any wire I run. If nothing else, it looks super nice.

JAQ51

Reaction score
That look really great, nice work, and I think soldering joints is fine unless put in very rigid situations. I would hate to see you cut that beautiful harness up just to use butt connectors.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading several sources, it appears you are correct. My mind is blown. I will indeed be crimping to the upfitter wires.
My electronics wizard friend would only allow me to solder the connections from AUX and Pass Through wires. We added about a foot of 12 AWG to each of the 12 wires. I did use Deutsch crimps, with the very expensive Deutsch crimp tool from extended wires to Deutsch connector.

Nice work BTW!