Comb Ridge to Elephant Hill Offroad Run + Capital Reef NP, Utah ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm giving serious thought to putting together a fairly epic road trip. The guys at Overland Journal inspired it in their Summer 07 issue, and a recent special on the Capitol Reef NP for the TV show "Motion" all but sealed the deal for me. Here's my thoughts...

I'm in Central California. The drive from my place to the trailhead is approximately 950miles. That would take me realistically 2 days to drive. The Comb Ridge to Elephant Hill trek can comfortably be done in 2 days. The next day I'd like to spend in Capital Reef, stopping on the side of the road and spending a lot of time on foot exploring. So that would mean...

Day 1:
From San Jose, CA to Flagstaff AZ.

Day 2:
From Flagstaff AZ to a campsite somewhere near the Comb Ridge trailhead.

Day 3:
Break camp and get to a more or less halfway point along the run, setup camp and spend the night

Day 4:
Break camp and finish up the run over Elephant Hill. The trail ends at Canyonlands National Park picnic area.
Make the 4ish hour drive from the picnic area to Capitol Reef NP and either camp for the night or find a hotel and grab a shower (yes please).

Day 5:
Spend the day exploring Capitol Reef NP. Finish the day camping or back at the hotel.

Day 6:
From the campsite/hotel to maybe Tonopah for the evening.

Day 7:
From Tonopah thru Yosemite over 120, and back home.

As for when, I'm thinking late this Nov is probably ideal; maybe leave a day or so after Thanksgiving? If not then, I don't think I'd want to try this until late next spring.

Anyone wanna join for any/all of it? If I don't have at least one other bud to go with on the offroad part, I won't go. I asked one of the guys who went on the expedition for Overland if the Raptor could handle it and the answer came back "you shouldn't have any problems, but you will want a spotter, as some of the switchbacks are very tight."

What do ya think? To ambitious? Other ideas? Better ideas?

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I should point out the offroading part of this trip is NOT a high speed affair. Its not a typical "Raptor" type run in the sense that its a lot of slow speed stuff, and we'll probably want to get out and explore quite a bit. We'll want to cover these 100miles offroad slowly. As the article's author Scott Brady said "Progress was slow, as nearly every turn yielded another reason to stop and use the camera." That theme repeats over and over in his writeup.

With that in mind, he makes recommendations based on your vehicle's wheelbase:

Short-wheelbase vehicles (100" or less)
30" light truck tires or taller
Good approach and departure angles

Long-wheelbase vehicles (100" or more <-yeah uhm that's us :mrgreen:)
31" light truck tires or taller
Skid plate or HD bumpter for departure angle
Rocker-panel protection is recommended

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds, as you put it, "epic" - I like it. Most Raptor owners won't though - they don't like the slow stuff.

I'll need some time before I can check my schedule that far in advance but I'm interested. I may have some trips to Ukraine coming up so we'll see...

I've been wanting to take a trip to Utah (want to go to Zion and Bryce Canyon).

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum and a couple guys came back saying next year would be best for them too. I'm cool with planning it out that far. Think you could maybe make it happen if we set it for sometime late spring / early summer? Dan?

I'd much rather wait and go with good friends than try to force early and go alone.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum and a couple guys came back saying next year would be best for them too. I'm cool with planning it out that far. Think you could maybe make it happen if we set it for sometime late spring / early summer? Dan?

I'd much rather wait and go with good friends than try to force early and go alone.

I agree and yes, I would do what I can to lock that time up on my calendar!