Collision alert activation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it in HIGH. Certainly has given an alert a few times in a situation that didn’t freak me out but certainly could be tricky if I had been distracted.

I gladly accept a number of alerts that are (for me) “informational” only with the benefit of having a chance to really respond to the “one I didn’t see coming”.

Try and adjust to what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megabass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adaptive Cruise control works the brakes. Were red lights on the dash glowing

The lights flashed, it beeped, and hit the brakes all at the same time.
The truck applied brakes only for a second or two, but I probably slowed by 20mph.
The guy behind me probably thought I was brake checking him. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

I think you're right that it won't engage the brakes, but mine has done some dramatic engine braking.
It was definitely braking; it threw me forward. I did have the auto cruise on.
You all have me worried now. Lol. I read in the manual that it can be overly sensitive and just dismissed the event and adjusted the sensitivity.
Guess I will bring it up next time I'm at the dealer.

fuhrius

Reaction score
The lights flashed, it beeped, and hit the brakes all at the same time.
The truck applied brakes only for a second or two, but I probably slowed by 20mph.
The guy behind me probably thought I was brake checking him. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

You all have me worried now. Lol. I read in the manual that it can be overly sensitive and just dismissed the event and adjusted the sensitivity.
Guess I will bring it up next time I'm at the dealer.
I'll be interested to hear what you learn from the dealer.

Last edited:

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Adaptive cruise (throttle and brake modulation) and collision alert (dash warning lights, pre-charged brakes) are separate systems that use the same sensor data. Have the dealer check your sensor alignment and calibration.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well shit howdy, I checked my sensitivity and it was at LOW... ****** goes off all the time, I just turned the damn thing off, it's useless anyway.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To back up Megabass, there is a video on youtube of a guy (not using ACC) that showed the truck braking as the Collision system warning came on.

I've had it happen to me as well - yes, I know the manual says it only charges the brakes, and yes, in most cases it has gone off (people turning) it does not brake. But I've had a few jerks cut me off then brake, and in those situations it has slowed down the truck for me WITHOUT Adaptive Cruise on.

To OP, I would recommend turning it down a notch or two. I'm really starting to think even "Normal" sensitivity is too high.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same used to happen on mine until I changed the sensitivity settings. Used to go over for shadows, cross walk paintings, tall grass, and thick lane lines.

Ummm... Not sure if you are joking or being sarcastic here, but there is no way that a shadow or a painting on the road could even be "seen" by a RADAR system. Thats impossible and must have been purely coincidental at the time your system went off..

To the OP: make sure that there is nothing blocking the sensor like a huge dead bug or something. The sensor is on the front bumper behind the black plastic piece on the driver's side of the grille. If you put a license plate over it for some odd reason, that would make it go berserk as well. If not, sounds like you need to take it to the dealer to get it checked out. Ive been in a gen 2 raptor since Feb 17 and neither of the ones I had had that type of behavior out of nowhere. I do have mine set to the lowest setting though because it gets annoying in heavy traffic when on high.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ummm... Not sure if you are joking or being sarcastic here, but there is no way that a shadow or a painting on the road could even be "seen" by a RADAR system. Thats impossible and must have been purely coincidental at the time your system went off..
QUOTE]

I get that it is radar, the shadow thing it may have picked up something on the side of the road or whatever. The stripes it happens for cross walks when I am in a downtown area since it is a reflective paint with very wide stripes. Somehow it is picking it up. I do know certain paints/ coatings will play with the effectiveness of a radar system. Anyone who has been in the Air Force or Navy can comment on this as well.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird.. I know certain types of paints can contribute to hiding things from radar by absorbing it, but never heard of certain paints that trigger radar. That's a new one to me, but I'm not an expert in that field.