GEN 2 Cobb Stage 2 Tune While Under Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ash Keshavarz

Reaction score
Only parts sold by Ford Performance are considered Ford parts, and even those come with their own separate warranty in many cases.

Roush is not Ford, Roush is a 3rd party company.

You may be correct but as far as I know there is no such thing as a Ford cold air intake for the Raptor. My dealership specifically told me to get Roush as to avoid warranty problems.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You may be correct but as far as I know there is no such thing as a Ford cold air intake for the Raptor. My dealership specifically told me to get Roush as to avoid warranty problems.

That just shows of how clueless some of these dealerships are. Roush performance parts are 3rd party aftermarket, no different than any other such as Cobb, K&N, AirRaid, etc. Ford does not approve nor warranty Roush products. You are correct that Ford Performance does not offer a cold air intake for these trucks.

In the event that a Roush intake causes an issue, such as a Check Engine Light, that would not be covered under warranty.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this here...
Straight from the Roush website.
I honestly think they’re getting themselves in legal trouble with a statement like this - even though this is just for the cold air intake... it’s still questionable...

AF37A84B-F72A-4D75-8B21-9DCB05077910.jpeg

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just gonna leave this here...
Straight from the Roush website.
I honestly think they’re getting themselves in legal trouble with a statement like this - even though this is just for the cold air intake... it’s still questionable...

View attachment 143777
Maybe its a deal between them and Ford. Roush does a lot of R&D for Ford I even think they are the main Research and Development company for Ford. Their latest (2018 and up) 2.65L Supercharger is a join venture between Ford Performance and Roush. Roush is to big of company to make statement like this in writing if its not true. I dont think they would just post something like this without being sure they cannot back it up from legal stand point.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe its a deal between them and Ford. Roush does a lot of R&D for Ford I even think they are the main Research and Development company for Ford. Their latest (2018 and up) 2.65L Supercharger is a join venture between Ford Performance and Roush.

I can tell you first hand that it's not. Ford contracts Roush for certain services including pre-build, validation, testing, etc. Ask anyone who has worked for them and you'll usually hear the response of "never again". They work their technical employees to the bone and do not compensate them well. Ford does the overwhelmingly vast majority of their R&D in house. Roush exploits their "relationship" with Ford to sell their aftermarket products under the premise that they're Ford approved/warranty compliant. All those Roush Mustangs that they advertise? Everything they've touched is no longer covered under the OEM warranty. And when a failure does occur, they play the blame game and put the customer in the middle, because they don't want to cover anything out of their own pocket.

The Roush supercharger that they sell for the Mustang was developed between Roush and Ford Performance; not Ford OEM. Regardless of which brand the system is labeled under, it comes with it's own separate powertrain warranty, because in the event of a failure, the OEM warranty is null and void. The powertrain warranty is only a 3yr/36K, so once you're past that you're on your own. The OEM 5yr/60K powertrain warranty doesn't apply.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you first hand that it's not. Ford contracts Roush for certain services including pre-build, validation, testing, etc. Ask anyone who has worked for them and you'll usually hear the response of "never again". They work their technical employees to the bone and do not compensate them well. Ford does the overwhelmingly vast majority of their R&D in house. Roush exploits their "relationship" with Ford to sell their aftermarket products under the premise that they're Ford approved/warranty compliant. All those Roush Mustangs that they advertise? Everything they've touched is no longer covered under the OEM warranty. And when a failure does occur, they play the blame game and put the customer in the middle, because they don't want to cover anything out of their own pocket.

The Roush supercharger that they sell for the Mustang was developed between Roush and Ford Performance; not Ford OEM. Regardless of which brand the system is labeled under, it comes with it's own separate powertrain warranty, because in the event of a failure, the OEM warranty is null and void. The powertrain warranty is only a 3yr/36K, so once you're past that you're on your own. The OEM 5yr/60K powertrain warranty doesn't apply.
One thing I wont agree with you from my own experience with Roush products and their warranty. Right now I own my 3rd Roush product (Roush Raptor) before that I had 2017 Roush Supercharged F150 before that Roush Mustang. I had multiple different occasions to deal with Roush Warranty and it was as simple as dropping truck over at the Roush Authorized Ford Dealer. They took pictures send them over to Roush if vehicle did have to stay usually within 24 hours parts were send out to the dealer. Last thing that they replaced before I traded in my 2017 for truck that I have right now was whole blower because it had visible oil coming out on the side. Like I said from my past experiences never had a problem with Roush's Warranty Department. I never experienced what you said that Roush is putting blame on Ford and Ford on Roush over warranty work. Maybe I am only one lucky customer? When it comes to the statement provided from Roush website like I stated Roush its not your neighborhood Tunner with one bay shop and two lifts to put out something in writing thats not backed up, at least I wouldnt think that because they have to much to loose over something like this. I am sure they have legal department that would advise them otherwise. Actually I had pleasure to deal with their legal department when I needed a letter from them when one shop was making some custom billet aluminum badges for my Roush F150 with Roush name on it.

Last edited:

Attackpilot

Reaction score
I have had my Raptor for 2 years. I just did the COBB stage 2 FMIC. I have put about 89 miles with it and my drivers side turbo blew. I had been having issues with the wastegate so not sure what caused it? Anyways it’s in the shop and I will know soon if they cover it u set warranty.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have extensive field experience as both a technical expert and PMK. I’ve been deposed and I’ve been to court, including small claims. I’m very familiar with MM.

What is a "PMK"? I'm assuming it's not what I found when I googled it.
PMK
Popular Mechanics For Kids
PMK
Primark Corporation
PMK
Professional Military Knowledge
PMK
Pelton Marsh Kinsella
PMK
Pyro Metol Kodalk
PMK
Paul Michael Kane
PMK
Palm Island, Queensland, Australia
PMK
Panada Mudisavki Kalagam
PMK
Pattali Makkal Katchi
PMK
Pimp My Keyboard
PMK
Pain Management Kit
PMK
Pairwise Master Key
PMK
Pickwick Maslansky Koenigsberg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is a "PMK"? I'm assuming it's not what I found when I googled it.
PMK
Popular Mechanics For Kids
PMK
Primark Corporation
PMK
Professional Military Knowledge
PMK
Pelton Marsh Kinsella
PMK
Pyro Metol Kodalk
PMK
Paul Michael Kane
PMK
Palm Island, Queensland, Australia
PMK
Panada Mudisavki Kalagam
PMK
Pattali Makkal Katchi
PMK
Pimp My Keyboard
PMK
Pain Management Kit
PMK
Pairwise Master Key
PMK
Pickwick Maslansky Koenigsberg

lol...Person Most Knowledge

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One thing I wont agree with you from my own experience with Roush products and their warranty. Right now I own my 3rd Roush product (Roush Raptor) before that I had 2017 Roush Supercharged F150 before that Roush Mustang. I had multiple different occasions to deal with Roush Warranty and it was as simple as dropping truck over at the Roush Authorized Ford Dealer. They took pictures send them over to Roush if vehicle did have to stay usually within 24 hours parts were send out to the dealer. Last thing that they replaced before I traded in my 2017 for truck that I have right now was whole blower because it had visible oil coming out on the side. Like I said from my past experiences never had a problem with Roush's Warranty Department. I never experienced what you said that Roush is putting blame on Ford and Ford on Roush over warranty work. Maybe I am only one lucky customer? When it comes to the statement provided from Roush website like I stated Roush its not your neighborhood Tunner with one bay shop and two lifts to put out something in writing thats not backed up, at least I wouldnt think that because they have to much to loose over something like this. I am sure they have legal department that would advise them otherwise. Actually I had pleasure to deal with their legal department when I needed a letter from them when one shop was making some custom billet aluminum badges for my Roush F150 with Roush name on it.

Completely understand, I’m glad to hear you had a good experience! The process you described is exactly how the warranty is supposed to work. The fact that you went through an Roush authorized Ford dealer who clearly has a good working relationship with Roush is probably what makes all the difference.

From your description it sounds like your concerns were pretty straightforward. The issue issues I’ve seen typically stem from the dealer not understanding the difference between Ford and Roush warranty. The dealer starts throwing parts at it billed under Ford warranty since it’s easier than going through Roush, only to find out weeks later that they issue is related to the aftermarket modifications, and Roush should have been involved in the first place. So now you have a customer who is upset that their car is still in the shop, they’re blaming Ford (a lot of ppl don’t understand that Roush/Shelby modified vehicles aren’t built by Ford), the dealer has thousands of dollars in repairs that aren’t warrantable, and Roush wants nothing to do with it because the vehicle has been disassembled multiple times with multiple repair attempts. Definitely a dealer originated issue, but it becomes a mess for all parties involved, especially the customer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc