Cobb OTS tune and TCM....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Malamuteman

Reaction score
Hopefully no one flames me for another Cobb posting.

I'm just not happy with Cobbs tunes. I'm currently running the stage 2 as I put a IC on about 2 months ago. The software and hardware are top notch however the tune feels fat at times. Sometimes the truck pulls good but most of the time if I get on it at highway speeds it feels like I'm pulling a trailer (I'm not). I've started monitoring the gauges more looking for anything that might indicate timing being pulled (which is what it feels like) however no misfires and no knock. From what I've read the TCM upgrade is good but it's an additional $400.
So now I'm sitting thinking do I spend $400 for the TCM and a addtional $200+ for a custom tune (looking at Goosetune). Goosetune has tune and TCM tune for $550 but I would also have to purchase the TCM which is $400 for an all in total of $950. I've read a lot of reviews about the new ORA550 which runs about $800. The thing I really like about that is the Auto Octane.

The question is for the guys that have experience with Cobb has anyone else experienced the heavy/fat feeling with the Cobb tune? Did the TCM and/or custom tune make a night and day difference?

Any one have experience with both Cobb and ORA? Is the Auto Octane as good as it sounds? I saw one guy on here switched and really likes it.

HoldenTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could describe "Fat" in some technical specs then I may be able to help better!
But your question is a good excuse for me to share a suggestion with @COBB Tuning and any other tuners for that matter.
It is a common sales method in the software industry to let people try something for a week/month and then choose to continue paying - or lose the feature.
I'd imagine @COBB Tuning could generate a bunch more sales if they let people try the tune for a week and then have it revert back after a week if you don't pay. Sure there can be the cat & mouse games of people who'd try and beat the system (just like in games)...anyway, just an idea I thought I'd share.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have experience with Cobb tuners and OTS tunes.

I don’t believe the TCM tune will fix anything unless your transmission isn’t downshifting and keeping the revs high enough. Changing how/when the transmission shifts is about all the TCM tuning can do that makes a big difference.

Mine has had some issues due to fuel quality. Here is a good link from Cobb for what to monitor.
https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/769196683/Ford+Datalog+Guide

Regardless of vehicle, custom tunes seem to help a ton. Just make sure the guy doing the tuning knows what he’s doing.

Before changing anything, I’d log everything so you can understand what’s going on right now. Post the logs so we can take a look and send them to Cobb.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a common sales method in the software industry to let people try something for a week/month and then choose to continue paying - or lose the feature.
I'd imagine @COBB Tuning could generate a bunch more sales if they let people try the tune for a week and then have it revert back after a week if you don't pay. Sure there can be the cat & mouse games of people who'd try and beat the system (just like in games)...anyway, just an idea I thought I'd share.

Novel idea but with how things work now, one could just unplug the Cobb and run it forever since it’s already in the ECU. Maybe they could do a mileage limit on the tune since the AP doesn’t know the current date. You’d also have to be careful about leaving people stranded because they forgot to upgrade.

element217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should just reach out to @wgr73 (Goosetuned) and the guys at ORA directly and let them answer your questions directly. Go with who you feel most comfortable with. I know speaking with Goosetuned, he has some strong thoughts on the "Auto Octane" feature, which is an OEM feature.

Mbdurham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running Cobb stage 2 93 OTS Cobb FMIC and TCM OEM + and I’m at 90mph before I know it and I am coming from a 700hp M5. I personally wouldn’t want any more out of my truck than I am getting right now. It is very fast for a truck this size. I will get a sports car for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

Malamuteman

Reaction score
If you could describe "Fat" in some technical specs then I may be able to help better!
But your question is a good excuse for me to share a suggestion with @COBB Tuning and any other tuners for that matter.
Fat is a term that was always used in the garage from the carburetor guys. They used it when too much fuel was being added and made the car sluggish. I know with these trucks that’s not the case. It feels to me like a timing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Malamuteman

Reaction score
I am running Cobb stage 2 93 OTS Cobb FMIC and TCM OEM + and I’m at 90mph before I know it and I am coming from a 700hp M5. I personally wouldn’t want any more out of my truck than I am getting right now. It is very fast for a truck this size. I will get a sports car for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I’d be curious to know if you ran the stage 2 with and without the tcm to know your impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
You should just reach out to @wgr73 (Goosetuned) and the guys at ORA directly and let them answer your questions directly. Go with who you feel most comfortable with. I know speaking with Goosetuned, he has some strong thoughts on the "Auto Octane" feature, which is an OEM feature.

I agree, goosetuned doesn't like the "Auto Octane " feature in a tune. Not sure I fully understand that since it is used by the OEM.

His tune like most tunes raise boost among changing other parameters.

ORA's tune doesn't raise boost as their tuner claimed raising boost increases heat which is something he didn't want to do and I believe their tune has more to do with adjusting the timing among changing other parameters.

It makes it a tough decision.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Malamuteman I'd like for you to send me logs of your truck. Please reach out to me via PM. Also what fuel you are running, fueling station you are purchasing your fuel from, modifications, year truck, and a more detailed description of what you are feeling.

"Auto Octane" is an OEM safety measure that is made in the case that someone ACCIDENTALLY gets bad fuel. It is an OEM function because Ford has to release a truck at sea level, or at 6,000ft elevation, or for people that only have 91oct, or some have 93, some sold in California only have ACN 91oct (really horrible stuff), some trucks sold in Phoenix heat soak extremely quickly and also run ACN fuel. Ford trucks NEED to work in all of these different scenarios and so an Octane multiplier has to be in place to pull timing/boost in order to survive the bad fuel.

Here is what I feel: I feel this OEM *safety* feature should NOT be marketed and leaned on as "Auto Octane". It should NOT be used as a One Size Fits All tune. It should NOT be made for you to PURPOSELY run 86oct, 87oct, 89oct, 91oct, 93oct, etc... on one tune file. The tuner should calibrate the truck for the octane the truck will be running. Isn't that the purpose of tuning??

The thing here is that marketing an "Auto Octane" tune as a one size fits all tune allows the tuner to send a file, make 0 adjustments, require no logging, and call it a day. If the customer sees knock counts then it can be said "well, the auto octane will take care of everything for you, you're safe. No adjustments to knock will need to be made because auto octane will fix everything". This is why even though my tunes also incorporate this OEM function, I cannot personally say go run any fuel and the truck is good to go. I tune for the fuel you will be running. Now if your truck sees bad fuel, no problem, this OEM function will then come into play.

I take the time to custom tune EVERY truck because every truck is different. Every fuel station may not carry the same fuel, every environment is different, people drive their trucks different, elevation, heat, modifications, etc. If you want the safest power gain I feel this should be done. That's why all I offer is a custom tune.