Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Coating for leafsprings - Icon/Deaver

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modification' started by Raptor50, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Raptor50

Raptor50 Full Access Member

Picked up a used set of Icon springs, and curious if anyone has recommendations on coating them to prevent rust? The used ones are a year old and rusting already. Had the same problem on my Gen 1 Deavers.

2. ZackZ

ZackZ Full Access Member

I coat every few months with Amsoil HDMP. Doused them before install as well. I live in Michigan and the winter snd salt sucks. Icons coating is a bit better than Deaver. However they all rust a bit and make noise if you use the truck for what it’s made for. But they work great

Jace21583 and DrewFish11 like this.
  3. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

I use fluid film, I don't think anything works 100%, suggest using some sort of rust prevention in the fall and then every spring, pressure wash clean, let dry and spray a coat of tremclad gloss black on there.

Diesel71 likes this.
  4. II Sevv

II Sevv Full Access Member

You can also simply paint them. Make them look new and keep them from rusting at the same time

5. Jace21583

Jace21583 Full Access Member

Get some rust-oleum black, take the leaf packs apart and paint them.

6. Psirus7

Psirus7 Member

I've got some Deavers arriving on Friday and live in the mid-west with salt on the roads. I'm thinking about taking them apart, painting them with KBS, and then hitting them with Amsoil HDMP. Will painting between the leafs cause problems down the road? Thanks.

7. Big Blue

Big Blue Administrator Staff Member Admin Supporting Member

All of the above are good suggestions, but don't waste your time/money on powder coating them, the flex of the leaf springs causes it to crack/fall off within weeks. I hit mine with a heavy spray of Amsoil HD every fall.

GWBush, Psirus7 and CoronaRaptor like this.
  8. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

I don't think painting them between leafs will lead to "problems", but the paint will eventually peel off and rust anyway, it's not like you can get in there and wash it with a sponge and put coats of wax on there. These springs are made of thick metal, most would never rust apart in the life of the truck anyway. Just try to protect them the best you can for performance and looks.

GWBush and Psirus7 like this.
  9. Psirus7

Psirus7 Member

Thanks......I'll probably just stick with hitting them with HDMP every year. It's been working great for the frame and undercarriage.