Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine still clunk if I bounce it, but it’s MUCH less pronounced than it was before. In the video it’s about as loud as stuff rustling around. Also not noticeable from in the cab whereas it previously was very much so. Honestly I never really cared so much about the sound it was more the fact that you could feel it. I should add these are for a 35.View attachment 442530View attachment 442531
View attachment 442532
I’m more or less just without any trust in the dealership that did the service work. My clunk is unchanged (the whole bouncing on the rear thing, overall it’s 99% gone).

Last edited:

LedFootRocky

Reaction score
OK here's my story... I recently bought a 21 (build date 9/30/21) last year June 2023 with 32K miles after totaling my 2020. I love this truck mainly because of the improved interior and the 5link suspension. Having driven it now for more than 6 months I was always under the impression the clunking sound (front I think) was just normal for this newer truck and just let it go until I read this thread. So I am certain I have this issue and now have just over 37K miles now and the standard 36k warranty is expired.

My question ...Can I still use this SSM to have it fixed even though the warranty has expired as the SSM does not mention anything about mileage or an expiration date? And if so do I mention the SSM to the service advisor initially or wait for them to agree there is some clunking going on? Hoping to get this resolved as it annoying as heck.
@Tbogo I'm in the same predicament. I took mine into the dealer saying that I had a clunk and was concerned something came loose (I knew it was going to be the rear shocks). Long story short, they weren't going to pay for it. I had great report with the service advisors and mentioned the SSM. She put in a request to Ford and they came back with paying for most of it. The estimate was $3k and it dropped to $920. I've heard of some dealers covering it, and some not, so I'm okay with the deal.

An option to you would be to buy a maintenance plan then take it in. Shocks are covered and the Raptor shocks are very expensive. If you factor in the cost of shocks, oil changes and other things it covers, its not a bad deal if you get it from Granger or Zeigler. Or... roll the dice and see if the dealership will cover it. I was thinking of getting one but since they already diagnosed my issue, it wouldn't have been covered anyway.

My issue with the dealer changing my shocks out, is that they had to go to a superceded part for one side and I can't confirm if it's for my '21 w/37pp. The part numbers they gave me are ML3Z-18125-BM and ML3Z-18125-BK. I can confirm the -BK one from FordParts.com but the -BM isn't pulling up anything.

Tbogo

Reaction score
@Tbogo I'm in the same predicament. I took mine into the dealer saying that I had a clunk and was concerned something came loose (I knew it was going to be the rear shocks). Long story short, they weren't going to pay for it. I had great report with the service advisors and mentioned the SSM. She put in a request to Ford and they came back with paying for most of it. The estimate was $3k and it dropped to $920. I've heard of some dealers covering it, and some not, so I'm okay with the deal.

An option to you would be to buy a maintenance plan then take it in. Shocks are covered and the Raptor shocks are very expensive. If you factor in the cost of shocks, oil changes and other things it covers, its not a bad deal if you get it from Granger or Zeigler. Or... roll the dice and see if the dealership will cover it. I was thinking of getting one but since they already diagnosed my issue, it wouldn't have been covered anyway.

My issue with the dealer changing my shocks out, is that they had to go to a superceded part for one side and I can't confirm if it's for my '21 w/37pp. The part numbers they gave me are ML3Z-18125-BM and ML3Z-18125-BK. I can confirm the -BK one from FordParts.com but the -BM isn't pulling up anything.
That was great Ford came back and covered most of it! Curious, was your truck out of warranty? I did buy an expensive extended warranty (not Fords) when I purchased the truck. Maybe that will cover it? Worth trying anyway. Another thing I was wondering was if I did the shock rebuild exchange would these old shocks not be accepted because of the issue or can Fox fix the them regardless?

LedFootRocky

Reaction score
That was great Ford came back and covered most of it! Curious, was your truck out of warranty? I did buy an expensive extended warranty (not Fords) when I purchased the truck. Maybe that will cover it? Worth trying anyway. Another thing I was wondering was if I did the shock rebuild exchange would these old shocks not be accepted because of the issue or can Fox fix the them regardless?
My truck is out if the 3/36 warranty. I have the extended Ford ESP but it specifically states that shocks are not covered. They are covered in the Ford maintenance plan, but I don't have one. I'd check the paperwork with your warranty or give them a call to see if they are covered, they may be included.

I looked into rebuilding mine as an option and there are a few websites that do it like Hammer or TSW. I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if they are rebuildable if you give them a call.

Here’s one thing I don’t get… if I search the part number on my shock (ml3z18125BN) I get something that doesn’t cost very much. Am I missing something? Part number should be part number. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOF-ASH8666314
Not sure about that part number. I was given ML3Z-18125-BM in the quote from my dealership, not -BN.

Last edited:

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is out if the 3/36 warranty. I have the extended Ford ESP but it specifically states that shocks are not covered. They are covered in the Ford maintenance plan, but I don't have one. I'd check the paperwork with your warranty or give them a call to see if they are covered, they may be included.

I looked into rebuilding mine as an option and there are a few websites that do it like Hammer or TSW. I'm sure they'd be able to tell you if they are rebuildable if you give them a call.

Not sure about that part number. I was given ML3Z-18125-BM in the quote from my dealership, not -BN.
You have a 37 so part number should be different.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer right now for the front shocks to hopefully get replaced. Here is what was written. It is nice that the service advisor listed the SSM so the tech knows where to start.

CUST STATES - Rattle noise from the front end over slightly uneven bumps in the road on both sides. See SSM 50972

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have a copy of the SSM diagnosis steps? For example:

Attach chassis ears in the following locations.
Operate vehicle at speeds 20-30mph on uneven surface
Listen to the recording to diagnose possible noise in shocks
replace affected shocks

Does this exist? They must have some sort of procedure for diagnosis. I'd love to see it.