Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not the shock. Although there are many people with noisy rear shocks including mine with were replaced...Its not the cause for the clunk that people are experiencing. It is unknown if this is fixed in the 2022 f-150s. This is not isolated to the Raptor alone. It is present in highly optioned f-150's as well. The irony in this is based on the eminent recall, the noise originates from a drivetrain part that was designed to suppress sound entering the cabin. Apparently it has come loose on 180,000+ f-150s and hits the driveline on uneven roads causing the knock. It also has cause some owners drivelines to break which can create a pole-vault experience. Effected owners should be receiving recall notices in the next 20 days. Assuming Ford is waiting on these notices so that they can send instructions and parts to dealers to resolve expeditiously, shortly after we will know if it solves the problem. For those with 22's on order, it would be reasonable to think that because Ford is aware of the issue, and is hopefully sending parts to dealers ahead of the recall, that they may actually be resolving this on the production line. But that is a big assumption which from a practical matter could be contrasted by supply chain. It may be easier for them to knowingly produce a defective truck, ship it to recognize revenue, and have the dealers resolve the problem through the bulletin.
bringing mine in tonight, I hope to god this fixes whatever is going on. I'll let you all know.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This recall was not my knock
I have no hanging or loose insulation material under my truck, it is all adhered as it should be. My shocks do make a noise when I bounce on my rear bumper, but my clunk is not from that either. I'm trying to find time to take my truck to a transmission shop to take a look at the slop and noise in the front driveshaft and give me an opinion on it. I just haven't been able to yet.

Enrique Villalobos

Reaction score
I just had the recall done and the driveshaft was remove to secure insulators. Clunk is still there… oh well, give it time and I’m sure there will be another recall for the recall.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out my gen 3 gen discussion subtle clunking thread, I think someone may have found the culprit...

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys realize that this “clunk” has been on every raptor since the raptor program launched 10+yrs ago? It is the lower control arm design, bolt, torque, and shock fitment to the mounts. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There are cam bolt kits available with the right 5/8” bolt, and you have to torque properly. I am really surprised nobody has researched this at all.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys realize that this “clunk” has been on every raptor since the raptor program launched 10+yrs ago? It is the lower control arm design, bolt, torque, and shock fitment to the mounts. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There are cam bolt kits available with the right 5/8” bolt, and you have to torque properly. I am really surprised nobody has researched this at all.
Do you have a link to a thread about this - or the kit you mention?

I had a 2019 Raptor and I did not have this issue.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to a thread about this - or the kit you mention?

I had a 2019 Raptor and I did not have this issue.
I posted in another thread. There are a few cam bolt options to choose from. Also, remember the lower control arm bolts are 1-time use and have a very high torque. Lastly, folks were actually also swapping to Icon shocks since the fit better in the mounts. Doing these eliminated the clunk.

Kevin Rojas

Reaction score
My 18/19 never did this. My gen 3 has been clunking from the passenger front side since day one. I’m about to by these cam bolts and try it, the clunk noise is so annoying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc