Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan33

Reaction score
Well I got both rear shocks replaced yesterday. The noise is certainly less but not gone. It still has a clunk and it still sounds like it’s coming from the front. They used electronic ears on all the suspension parts and nothing so it has to be driveline. I’m going to try to diagnose it myself because the ford techs say it’s normal, and it’s not. The transfer case, driveline and front differential are the same parts on all f150s and they don’t have the driveline noise. Therefore you don’t need to compare it to another raptor to know that the driveline should not be making this noise.
Did they listen or look to the sway bar components? I was able to get under my truck and try and wiggle the drive shaft. It had very very minimal play, so I doubt that's the issue.

OP
OP
S

Shaheen J

Reaction score
Did they listen or look to the sway bar components? I was able to get under my truck and try and wiggle the drive shaft. It had very very minimal play, so I doubt that's the issue.
They did and everything seems tight. I also tried to move the driveline and there doesn’t seem to be any material play

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Following since I have 22 on order.

Maybe one of y'all can unbolt your front swaybar links, at one end, and take a quick test drive to eliminate that part?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Also, if you guys don't want to drop the front driveshaft, how about simply using some kite string and tying it to something solid so that it takes the slop out, then test drive, in 2wd of course.

BCR7

Reaction score
I have a 2021 35 delivered in October. Leadfoot loaded beautiful and couldn't be happier with it. I had the "clunk" when I jumped on the rear bumper. I took it to dealer and they said it had bad struts. Replaced rear struts under warranty and noise gone... Struts came next day delivery. Had the noise since first mile. I now have 2,700 miles. I do have "rattle" in several places in the dash but great to have the clunk gone. Still doesn't feel as solid as my 2017 but huge difference. Now I have the noise in the front and felt slightly in the right foot but with the major noise gone I am going to chalk the other noise up to my imagination because I read about it. Major difference in how the truck feels!!!! Easy fix. Dealer hadn't heard about shock issues... I didn't bring anything up or make suggestions. After dealer assessment they suggested struts... Good luck.

Chuck D

Reaction score
Same here, I had an October delivery. If I jump on the rear I have a shock clunk drivers side rear but I don't hear it while driving. I do have the forward transfer case clunk. Truck has 2200 miles.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2021 35 delivered in October. Leadfoot loaded beautiful and couldn't be happier with it. I had the "clunk" when I jumped on the rear bumper. I took it to dealer and they said it had bad struts. Replaced rear struts under warranty and noise gone... Struts came next day delivery. Had the noise since first mile. I now have 2,700 miles. I do have "rattle" in several places in the dash but great to have the clunk gone. Still doesn't feel as solid as my 2017 but huge difference. Now I have the noise in the front and felt slightly in the right foot but with the major noise gone I am going to chalk the other noise up to my imagination because I read about it. Major difference in how the truck feels!!!! Easy fix. Dealer hadn't heard about shock issues... I didn't bring anything up or make suggestions. After dealer assessment they suggested struts... Good luck.
@BCR7
Can you post a copy of the paper work from the dealer that did the swap?

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone had the dealer call in a field service engineer? that is what ford performance tech line suggested.