Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

impactbumper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is actually at the dealership. I was told on the phone they ordered new shock mount bolts and (lower ball joints- i need to confirm this part) as per a technical service bulletin. Either Sat morning Monday i will have more information and i will share.

Truck also developed a check engine light and rough idle at low rpm. My scanner showed p008a low fuel pressure. The dealer has been in contact with Ford and have a fix for it, however the service advisor need more info to explain to me. More on that later.

LPZML

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is actually at the dealership. I was told on the phone they ordered new shock mount bolts and (lower ball joints- i need to confirm this part) as per a technical service bulletin. Either Sat morning Monday i will have more information and i will share.

Truck also developed a check engine light and rough idle at low rpm. My scanner showed p008a low fuel pressure. The dealer has been in contact with Ford and have a fix for it, however the service advisor need more info to explain to me. More on that later.
ya if you can get the bullentin can you post it

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This makes sense since the mounting bolt is one-time use. Should check the PN and see if it’s an updated bolt design (aka cam bolt style) and new torque value (it’s extremely high torque).

2022 Ruth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Would love if Ford issued a TSB for this.

I hate to start from scratch on issues like this where they are usually either like “they all do that” or “could not reproduce”.

My 97, I got new, the rear diff would go BAM when taking off. I did a ride along and the tech was like “I don’t notice anything”. I felt like I was on a hidden camera show.

Keep us updated as to what they find!

impactbumper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They performed a work order from Ford and while replacing bolts found the right rear shock bad. Replaced.

I insisted both rears were making noise but i was told not.

I picked up my truck and most of my suspension noise is gone. Truck feels a ton more planted on the road. It had an excessive lean around corners and i thought that would be the way it is.

There is still a hollow noise coming from almost under my seat area on bad roads but i had the same on my gen 1 and gen 2.

Rear end no longer makes clunks if i bounce on the bed. Attached is my work order.

Attachments

• 7D505327-C16E-4CFC-84C3-078369C8E1D1.jpeg
    7D505327-C16E-4CFC-84C3-078369C8E1D1.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 91