Ceramic Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
Ceramic Pro treatment. Is it worth it? Thanks for any comment.

Before anyone answers that question, they should be asking:

1) What are your expectations
2) How do you maintain your truck/vehicle
3) Where do you live and what is the weather like
4) Will the vehicle be stored in a garage or outdoors

A Ceramic Coating is essentially wax on steroids. It does not prevent scratches, it will not cover up/fill in scratches or swirl marks in the paint, it will not magically make your paint look great unless the proper prep work is done and it will not last 5-10 years*. It will cause water to bead on your paint, it will have a bit of "self cleaning" characteristics, and it will minimally improve the look of your paint by itself. If done correctly though, with the right prep and technique, it will make a good looking care look great.

Is a Ceramic Coating the right option for you: (In General)
1) If you hand wash your car with the appropriate techniques to minimize/eliminate swirl marks, ceramic coatings may be an option for you. If you use auto washes, ceramic coatings are not for you as they will mar and scratch the coating, diminishing the look of your paint. In this case a good sealant would be a less expensive and better option for you.
2) If you are going to have the proper paint correction done, then ceramic coatings may be an option for you. If applied correctly, 95% of the improved looks of the paint will be due to proper prep (paint correction). If you do not plan to perform any paint correction, either 1 step or 2 step, ceramic coatings may not be an option for you as you are locking in any defects in your paint. You will not be able to remove those defects without removing the ceramic coating via compounding.
3) Ceramic Coatings do require maintenance, the application of a sacrificial layer every couple of washes that is typically sprayed on and wiped off. If you do not plan on performing the appropriate maintenance for the coating, it will not be an option for you.

Application:
If you decide a ceramic coating is the right option for you, but you do not have the appropriate tools and techniques to perform a paint correction, I would recommend having a pro, who knows what they are doing, install the coating. The majority of the cost for a pro to perform the installation will be the cost of the paint correction. If you have the equipment and proper techniques to perform a good paint correction, I would recommend looking at Kamikaze coatings at Esoteric Car Care for a DIY option. They are very user friendly, professional grade coatings, provide great looks and characteristics, and do not give off noxious fumes.

*Some coatings advertise 5-10 year life spans, but read the fine print. The coating may still have some water beading characteristics in 5-10 years, but the look of the paint will be reduced as these coatings do not prevent scratches and maring. After 2 years, with the most stringent washing regiment, you will have scratches in your paint/coating, the looks and water beading characteristics will be diminished and you will most likely want to re-polish your paint and reapply a ceramic coating.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about ''ceramic coatings'' and they range from 50$ to $4000. One thing nobody is addressing is the % of ceramic in their coatings. Not all ceramic coatings are created equal. A true full ceramic coating does cost over $ 3500. I just had a ceramic coating done yesterday on my '17 Screw and it including using a buffer, so it wasn't a simple spray and wipe application. My guy told me honestly it was only about 30% ceramic and it still cost be $ 250 and it took him 3 hours. BTW, my Black SCrew looks amazing afterwards !!!

TripleE44

Reaction score
Not a believer of it. Seen even the "Lifetime" Platinum Package stuff start showing signs of not working around the 1 year mark.

I just keep it old school...and apply in this order: Chemical Guys Blacklight or Whitelight (depending on color of your vehicle), Chemical Guys Jetseal, Chemical Guys Wax (whatever your choice is), then maintain it with Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 between washes.

Two things to note about this combo:

Black/white light contain non permanent fillers. Putting a sealant/wax on top of these will cause them not to last as long.

I used to be a huge fan of V7 spray, but I noticed over time my wax/sealant didn’t last as long as it had previously. Turns out it contains alcohol that degrades your sealant/wax over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HawkeyeRaptor1

Reaction score
Everyone is talking about ''ceramic coatings'' and they range from 50$ to $4000. One thing nobody is addressing is the % of ceramic in their coatings. Not all ceramic coatings are created equal. A true full ceramic coating does cost over $ 3500. I just had a ceramic coating done yesterday on my '17 Screw and it including using a buffer, so it wasn't a simple spray and wipe application. My guy told me honestly it was only about 30% ceramic and it still cost be $ 250 and it took him 3 hours. BTW, my Black SCrew looks amazing afterwards !!!

I hate to tell you, it sounds like you didnt get a ceramic coating installed. They cant be installed via a machine, they are applied by hand with a foam block and suede microfiber coating cloth. And I have never heard any brand quote their product as "30% ceramic". It sounds like your guy applied a sealant. It takes more than 3 hours just to polish/single step correct our trucks by an experienced detailer. Were you told not to get your truck wet for 5 days? Unless cured via IR, coatings typically take 5 days to cure so water spots dont form when it gets wet.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I hate to tell you, it sounds like you didnt get a ceramic coating installed. They cant be installed via a machine, they are applied by hand with a foam block and suede microfiber coating cloth. And I have never heard any brand quote their product as "30% ceramic". It sounds like your guy applied a sealant. It takes more than 3 hours just to polish/single step correct our trucks by an experienced detailer. Were you told not to get your truck wet for 5 days? Unless cured via IR, coatings typically take 5 days to cure so water spots dont form when it gets wet.

I bet it’s one of the silica spray coatings people use as ceramic maintenance/boosters every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
What??

Terp

Reaction score
Thoughts on a touchless automatic wash with a ceramic coating? Truck is unfortunately outside as our current garage is too short for it by about 6". Don't always have the time to hand wash and there is a nice touchless system nearby with a $30/month membership. Currently trying to decide between getting it coated or just trying to maintain with wax.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thoughts on a touchless automatic wash with a ceramic coating? Truck is unfortunately outside as our current garage is too short for it by about 6". Don't always have the time to hand wash and there is a nice touchless system nearby with a $30/month membership. Currently trying to decide between getting it coated or just trying to maintain with wax.

Just maintain it with a spray wax like Hybrid Ceramic wax and save yourself a lot of money. The touchless is fine, as long as it is big enough for you. The jets will be close regardless.