CarPlay Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d almost be half cool with this, if Apple allowed your open app on the phone to be displayed on Sync. But this is another whole topic and the legalities of that in car.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way they set up Carplay makes NO SENSE whatsoever from a safety standpoint.

While driving, I can endlessly scroll through music playlists but yet I have to reach down to grab my phone to dial a specific number that isn't in my contact list? It's probably just as safe, or unsafe, to be able to access the keypad on the screen. What about when you have to call somewhere and it says "enter your party's extension, or dial this or that"? I need to reach down, grab the phone, unlock it, find the phone app, then tap the keypad icon, then dial. How is that safer than just displaying the keypad on the screen?

Have they not realized this? Just dumb.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
While driving

While driving [your 5,700 pound F150 Raptor, and sharing the public roads with other citizens]

What about when you have to call somewhere and it says "enter your party's extension, or dial this or that"? I need to reach down, grab the phone, unlock it, find the phone app, then tap the keypad icon, then dial

There is a very simple and yet elegant solution: Stop the vehicle safely, and off the public road way, then address whatever thing it is that you need to address.

Don’t be a road menace and end up plowing under some innocent citizen because you’re texting or trying to take a phone call.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving [your 5,700 pound F150 Raptor, and sharing the public roads with other citizens]

There is a very simple and yet elegant solution: Stop the vehicle safely, and off the public road way, then address whatever thing it is that you need to address.

Don’t be a road menace and end up plowing under some innocent citizen because you’re texting or trying to take a phone call.

Smurfy, I don't get what you're going on about above, but I'll ask once again: how does allowing a driver to scroll through their music playlists, which consist of lines of rather small text, but not allowing a giant full screen dial pad to show up for reasons of "safety" correlate? Answer: it doesn't, and it's hypocritical and kind of dumb. Either restrict it all or don't restrict it at all, at least be consistent.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
development of ‘convenience’ features can seem a little schizophrenic at times so yes I take your point. The one that probably most of us run up against is the gps ‘feature’ turning off the input / search while in motion, but you can voice search.

As much as I don’t like lost gps’ers too lazy to pull over, and wandering all over the road while trying to find their destination, they are marginally better than back before gps when they were desperately trying to find the correct quadrant on the ADC map or desperately trying to unfold the interstate map - while driving.

The thing is that if they don’t discourage some of that behavior, someone is going to sue them for allowing people to use that feature while driving and someone gets injured or killed. The lawyers go for the deep pockets and Ford has deeper pockets than any Ford driver.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
development of ‘convenience’ features can seem a little schizophrenic at times so yes I take your point. The one that probably most of us run up against is the gps ‘feature’ turning off the input / search while in motion, but you can voice search.

As much as I don’t like lost gps’ers too lazy to pull over, and wandering all over the road while trying to find their destination, they are marginally better than back before gps when they were desperately trying to find the correct quadrant on the ADC map or desperately trying to unfold the interstate map - while driving.

The thing is that if they don’t discourage some of that behavior, someone is going to sue them for allowing people to use that feature while driving and someone gets injured or killed. The lawyers go for the deep pockets and Ford has deeper pockets than any Ford driver.

I'm not much for nanny state behavior especially if it's not logically designed. If they're trying to save people from themselves, then all of it needs to be restricted, not just some of it. It's an either/or thing for me because, knowing how people behave, they'll do exactly as I described and that ends up being actually LESS safe. Most people know how a phone dial pad is laid out, so I'll argue restricting this is less safe than having to grab the phone and try pick through various screens to find the dial pad.

I don't know...I'm throwing this into the same general "we know what's best for you" bucket as Ford forcing us to have auto stop/start as a default setting.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We just had the texting law go into effect down here. Can only handle your phone while driving if engaging the GPS functionality on the phone. Hmmm try to enforce that. But since it’s a 10-15 buck ticket, most will end up paying it instead of going to court. So the po po pulling you over at there discretion is going to win out.

I still to this day see loads and loads of horribly driving people with a phone in there hand. I personally hate handling the damn thing while driving and use all the tech I can to avoid it. I can relate to what you guys are talking about though.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Yeah, and the thing is, the more overcrowded and congested your area is, the worse this behavior gets, and... the worse it gets ! For some reason, I notice it more on the bikes than in the Rap. Probably because if they screw up while I’m out with Lucille, it’s likely to cause them more duress than me. But on the bikes - Holy Moley. They’re drifting side to side, slowing almost to a crawl then BACK ON THE GAS, repeat in random order. If it wasn’t deadly, it’d be comical.

OP
OP
K223

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly! There driving becomes nothing short of pure dangerous in most cases. Lane drifters are buried in there phone. Many times I realize or used to more so in my last truck and hold my lane tight. Once they realize there smaller car is about to run into a larger truck they pull over to the other side of there lane. Wake up call!!!

We have lots of stupid people here.