Car Play didn't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it did it this afternoon and then wouldn't work the next two times I connected either. I did the Power + Forward Button reset with the phone still plugged in and it started working again.

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a really pissing me off for a $70k+ vehicle. Car Play is hardly working for me. Maybe 1 out of 5 times I can get it to actually launch without having to re-boot Sync.

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start documenting times it does work and doesn't work and see if anyone else can create the same situation.

Seems to work:
Start truck with push button (not remote) and wait for center console to boot to home screen, then plug phone in.

Doesn't work:
Remote start and then push button
Plug phone in while center screen is booting (Raptor Logo or anytime before home screen appears)
Leave phone plugged in, turn truck off, return to truck (<2 minutes) and push button start. *

The last one was a real surprise. Mean that if I stop at a gas station and leave my phone in the truck I can't expect CarPlay to work when I get back in even though it was just playing. F!

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start documenting times it does work and doesn't work and see if anyone else can create the same situation.

Seems to work:
Start truck with push button (not remote) and wait for center console to boot to home screen, then plug phone in.

Doesn't work:
Remote start and then push button
Plug phone in while center screen is booting (Raptor Logo or anytime before home screen appears)
Leave phone plugged in, turn truck off, return to truck (<2 minutes) and push button start. *

The last one was a real surprise. Mean that if I stop at a gas station and leave my phone in the truck I can't expect CarPlay to work when I get back in even though it was just playing. F!

OK mine worked this morning and after about three stops it quit I make multiple stops per day. I just tried this, unplugging it before I shut the truck off, plugging it in after the display loads and it’s worked four times in a row so far.

OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK mine worked this morning and after about three stops it quit I make multiple stops per day. I just tried this, unplugging it before I shut the truck off, plugging it in after the display loads and it’s worked four times in a row so far.

Yup. Seems to not like to have the phone plugged in to quickly or already plugged in when the truck starts. ON THE OTHER HAND I've also plugged it in a couple minutes after start up and have it not connect. So there is a sweet spot that is just f'ing stupid.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. Seems to not like to have the phone plugged in to quickly or already plugged in when the truck starts. ON THE OTHER HAND I've also plugged it in a couple minutes after start up and have it not connect. So there is a sweet spot that is just f'ing stupid.
It’s worked about 10 times in a row now, that’s the best since I got the truck last Friday [emoji23]

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to the dealership tomorrow to get the grill marker light replaced I’ll ask him about this too. I had an 18 I traded last week and the CarPlay always worked unless the cable got old [emoji2378]

Uboofer

Reaction score
My old 2018 F150 was goofy like that. Every time I got in the truck it seemed like the radio had a different personality. Some features worked fine for periods of time and then all of a sudden they were nothing but issues. Then they would start working again. The biggest problem... blue tooth connectivity. I always had to bounce the Bluetooth service on either the phone or the truck to get my phone to connect. Sometimes both. Drove me absolutely insane.

Its just my opinion but I think its a combination of both Apple and updates from Ford. I told myself on this truck that I would leave auto update off and leave the system alone. So far so good. No issues as of yet. Got the email from Ford about the new Sync update but Ill hold off.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....

So the plugging in at the right time thing stopped working. But...

If you push and hold the volume and the forward button at the same time it does a soft reboot without changing all your presets and sound settings and that lets it connect. That’s a lot easier than doing the ‘master reset.’