Cant take my eyes off gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went through a supercharged v8 phase but too many horror stories about the roush raptors/f150's takin a dump right outside the warranty. something with power and a factory warranty sounds way better than v8 exhaust. Plus I live in Cali so yeah I'll take the ecoboost.

Where did you hear these stories, don't think I've ever seen em around here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SubSonicSOPMOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different forums, I research a lot when I'm obsessed with something. The guarantee is only up to 35,000 miles if I remember and a couple of guys had it grenade at 40k. I'll also never use a custom shop like roush or aev for jeep build. Guys are saying they call and get no answer for 11 weeks and in the aev thread the guy from Arizona got his jeep back with salt and rust all over the frame from Michigan weather. It may be worth it to others but I'm good buying something performance off the lot and not modifying.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and the torque of the 6.2 liter

The v6 is supposedly going to have more torque and more importantly it will come on a lot lower in the rpm band.

The Raptor was always meant to be a smoke snorting beast, if I want more power then a Supercharger can do more than a v6 Twin Turbo ever could.

Not necessarily. I'm a huge roots and twin screw fan myself, but they do rob quite a bit of crank hp to turn the big rotors and compress the inlet air. I've seen reports from 100hp to 200hp and even way more depending on application of course. Turbos are so efficient now days, they have a lot less of that old turbo lag rule, and while I haven't ever researched it myself I would guess they take a little of the n/a power by rerouting exhaust, but not much. No matter what comparing Gen1 and Gen2 will always be apples to oranges.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well it will lose off road durability, I know several farmers who use the ecoboosts and the turbos do not hold up well to dirt, sand and gravel. The 6.2 liter Boss motor is the best Raptor motor to date. I don't know why anyone would want a turbo v6 over a big block v8. Just does not make much sense to have your Halo truck with the ecoboost v6.

I have said it before and I will say it again as I have been in lots of Fords besides the F250 Superduty 6.7 Powerstroker, the 11+ Raptor with the 6.2 liter is arguably the best truck ford has ever or will ever build.

OP
OP
S

SubSonicSOPMOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be awfully boring if ford decided to halt progress at the 6.2 raptor. Can't let nostalgia cripple us to a lingering fate.

RATS

Reaction score
jamanrr..APPROUVE this 6.2 boss motor is built for 800hp and he have only 411hp .

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

approuved

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The v6 is supposedly going to have more torque and more importantly it will come on a lot lower in the rpm band.

OK, been ignoring all the pissy 6.2 vs 3.5 arguments- but this is just a bunch of BS that keeps being thrown out there.

At wide open throttle- yes, a smallish turbo engine will produce more torque than a big N/A V8, and do it lower in the RPM band. However, if you drive it like a normal person on a normal day- ie light throttle 99.999% of the time, the big V8 will have a massive torque advantage over a small V6 that is not in boost.

Hell I can tell a huge difference between my friend's Corvette with a high compression 346 V8 engine and my 03 Cobra with a low compression 281 V8. Just cruising around town, taking off from a stoplight- the Vette feels so much more powerful and responsive. However, crack the throttle and get some boost in the Cobra engine, and there is no comparison. The Cobra produces hundreds of HP and Ft-lbs of torque more than the Vette and just smokes it.

So bottom line- everyone quotes the numbers and looks at the curves, but that is all measured at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. Who drives around with the pedal on the floor until it's time to brake? Now, I know that Ford has small, responsive turbos on the engine and it'll get into boost at way less than WOT, but then the fuel economy goes to hell- which is the main argument for the using the smaller, more complicated and expensive to repair engine in the first place.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it will lose off road durability, I know several farmers who use the ecoboosts and the turbos do not hold up well to dirt, sand and gravel. The 6.2 liter Boss motor is the best Raptor motor to date. I don't know why anyone would want a turbo v6 over a big block v8. Just does not make much sense to have your Halo truck with the ecoboost v6.

I have said it before and I will say it again as I have been in lots of Fords besides the F250 Superduty 6.7 Powerstroker, the 11+ Raptor with the 6.2 liter is arguably the best truck ford has ever or will ever build.

That is your opinion. There have many more compliments on Ecoboost durability than there has of your hearsay negative feedback.

OK, been ignoring all the pissy 6.2 vs 3.5 arguments- but this is just a bunch of BS that keeps being thrown out there.

So bottom line- everyone quotes the numbers and looks at the curves, but that is all measured at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. Who drives around with the pedal on the floor until it's time to brake?

Actually it's not BS. Let's take it back to automotive performance stats 101. While hp/tq (whether it be measured at the rear hubs, tires, at the flywheel/flexplate, etc.) is usually measured while performing at wide open throttle that does not mean you will only see XXXhp and XXXtq at XXXXrpm if at WOT.

Whether your TPS PID is reading 2.22v or 4.78v you will see XXXtq at XXXXrpm for that given combination.

This is the reason why torque in the lower rpm range is more desirable for certain styles of driving, e.g. rock crawling, off-roading, towing, etc where you will be in the lower rpm range needing that performance more often.

I'm not one of the guys that's choosing the v6 over the v8. I'm not choosing the v8 over the v6. I just think it's funny so many people are bashing the new technology and combination put together without seeing it, feeling it, driving it, etc and already "know" it won't compare to what they have, when so far everything says the new technology will outperform the old technology. And the most widely used response to all of it is the sound isn't as good lol.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jamanrr. I fell out of my chair when I read "fancy 10 speed Schwinn transmission". Too funny...

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is your opinion. There have many more compliments on Ecoboost durability than there has of your hearsay negative feedback.

Actually it is not my opinion, but rather I have been in farmers eco Boot trucks when the CELs were on -- something about the turbos get choked and clogged out from dust and dirt particles. I have owned lots of turbo cars and I would not off road them, period. Regardless of the precautions Ford has taken in design. You watch as the people will have nothing but problems as they take them off road.