Bug Guts & Paint - Staying Sane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Ok, I've been reading about how bug guts eat through clear coat and etch paint, that you have to wash them off immediately, that you have to...bring a microfiber towel and detailer with you and clean them off wherever you go?! WTF? And the only alternative to detailing at every stop is paying upward of $1000 to vinyl the front?

Is it really that important that Monday bug guts can't wait for the upcoming Sunday morning wash? Our $50k truck's paint really can't handle bug guts? I can't drive around my neighborhood without getting bug guts on the front end, and the only practical solution is to go OCD after every drive?

:rage:

Can someone level with me here? I need some truth from someone who knows what they're talking about.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be a great question for the adams people. i only wash my truck after the sand dunes and ocean crossing. in the 5 months i was able to drive my truck, i have washed it 3 times. and the 3 day santa cruz to ocotillo to phoenix to santa cruz trip covered me in bug guts. waited a week or two to wash it.

ESRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A good coat of wax (or two) works wonders. Makes it is easy to clean off. Twice a year use some clay bar to pull any residue off the clear and wax.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You can be as OCD as you want, it's your truck and you can maintain it to your liking, no matter what your neighbors or friends or your forum compadres think!

Prevention is the key, in the form or a wax or sealant to protect the paint and act as a sacrificial barrier between your clear coat and the environment (especially when it's filled with bugs!)

A sealant will actually serve you better than a wax since they are engineered for maximum protection and longevity in mind.

We offer two different sealants, Machine Super Sealant and Quick Sealant with Quick Sealant being my favorite. It's an aerosol sealant, so it's incredibly easy to work with. Spray on, level out with an applicator, and wipe with a MF towel. Done.

As a bonus, you can use it on wheels as well. It's AWESOME at repelling brake dust and road grime.

That being said, it's still best to get them off as soon as possible as they become caustic and and can and will do long term damage to your finish that will take considerable work to fix.

OP
OP
BMart

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, especially Nick and Boss for your extensive input throughout FRF. Sounds like seal and wax are the most important for bugs.

Nick- I think my goal is to figure out how to keep it clean withOUT the OCD. I'm just trying to figure out how maintain the paint without spending crazy amounts of time and money, the bugs were just a launching platform for the research. It seems the car detailing industry follows a motto: more money & time = better results and protection. I've got to find the middle ground.

I have been scouring FRF and AutoGeek trying to work out a regimen. There are so many products, methods, equipment, pads, ordered processes, and tips that it's giving me a hangover.

I'm hoping to have a twice a year weekend detail regimen (once in Spring & once in Fall). This would consist of a Wash - Clay - DA Polish - DA Seal - DA Wax. (I'm afraid to ask how glaze fits into that regimen, I'd say there's enough steps already for a full day) Outside of that, I'm planning on doing a Sunday wash with the 3-bucket method every other week, or whenever it's dirty.

Any idea if this is excessive, on par, or lacking for paint maintenance? I'm just hoping this regimen is enough to take care of bugs and average wear, as that's about as much time as I can commit to obsessing about it. I didn't get Raptor to be a show truck, but on the other hand I plan on keeping it forever so I'd like to extend the life of the paint as long as possible.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your plan sounds solid!

Just be sure to use high quality wash materials as that is THE most important maintenance step when it comes to minimizing the amount of swirls/scratches you are putting into your finish over time. Proper wash technique is a must!

Depending on the sealant/waxes you choose, that will really determine how often you will need to apply them. Some will get you through to your target of twice per year, some will not.

P.S., glaze is like makeup. It makes your truck pretty. It's very easy to apply/remove. :)